Bonfire

After my experience with Alex last week, I'm relieved to have the opportunity to get to know a new Alpha today. Alex turned out to be quite unexpected, and perhaps that will be the case with every Alpha. As the Lunas walked onto the field, my eyes instantly connected with Alex's. He was already looking at me with a small smile, and I couldn't help but smile back.

"We will be selecting different teams for this week. The Alphas made their selections on Friday and handed them in. Betas, please join your Alpha's team," Coach Bill announced. All the Betas shuffled around the field to their designated spots.

"Alright! Now it's time to place the Lunas," Coach Bill continued. He went down his list again, and this time I was called in the middle. I would be joining Dean Maverick. I had heard some of the girls talking about him last week at dinner. Apparently, he's one of the richest Alphas, and they all want a chance with him.

I walked over to Dean and smiled. After all the Lunas were sorted out, Coach Bill gave us 10 minutes to talk with our new team before the games began.

"We are going to win today," Dean declared, looking around the group expectantly. They all nodded in agreement. "Give me the ball and stay out of the way."

"That's the plan?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Yes, it's the best plan we've got. Don't worry, I won't let you get hurt, sweetheart. You just stay on the bleachers and cheer us on," Dean said, smiling self-assuredly.

I was ready to say something clever in response, but then I felt someone's eyes on me. I looked around and found Alex watching us. He shook his head at me as if he knew what I was thinking.

I took a deep breath and smiled at Dean. Biting my tongue wasn't easy, but Alex looked worried. Ever since his warning last week, I've been more cautious about my interactions.

We made our way back to the bleachers as Coach Bill selected teams from a hat again. It would be Dean and Paul going up against each other first. The other teams practiced and warmed up on the outer field, preparing for the games ahead.

However, as the game began, it became apparent that Dean had no regard for fair play or teamwork. He played dirty and refused to share the ball. He relentlessly slammed into one of Paul's Betas, ignoring the spirit of friendly competition. Frustration welled up inside me, and I couldn't hold back my disappointment.

"What's the matter, sweetheart? Too hot out here?" Dean asked, walking over to me, sweat dripping from his forehead.

"No, I'm just worried you're going to hurt somebody out there," I replied, unable to hold my tongue. I instantly regretted my words, realizing they were probably not going to be well received.

"You're worried about the other team?" Dean asked incredulously.

"Yes! It's supposed to be a friendly game, not a death match," I said, looking him over. "Also, I would like a chance to play," I added, trying to soften my words.

Suddenly, he grabbed my arm tightly and pulled me aside to a quieter area. The grip was so strong that I knew it would leave a bruise.

"Who do you think you're talking to, Catie?" Dean glared at me, his voice filled with anger.

"It's Claire," I corrected, wincing as his grip tightened.

"I don't care who you are. I'm Dean Maverick! No one talks to me like that. Do you understand?" he growled, his aggression escalating.

Before things could escalate further, Alex walked up to us, concern etched on his face. "Is everything okay over here?" he asked, intervening in the tense situation.