Chapter 22: Aureate

Although it seemed to me that we were aimlessly wandering the forest, Fukase insisted that he knew exactly where we were going. Despite that, he refused to tell me his plan of action.

Supposedly, we would try and find the seaport town where Yohio and his crew were supposedly mending the ship, but we had no idea where that was. It was hard enough to tell if we were going deeper into the forest or approaching the outer edges.

I tried to pay attention to where we were going to gather any clues of our whereabouts, but the incoming clouds coupled with the humid air were starting to make me drowsy. It took an hour of walking or so, but I could sense by the change in air and altitude that we were headed inland. There was a mountain in the middle of the island, and we seemed to be near it judging by the subtle change in flora; towering cedars of the laurel forest gave way to maple and oak as we drew further away from the shoreline.

Just when I was about to suggest that we stop and take a break, we spotted someone up ahead.

"Hey, let's ask that person for directions," I suggested, moving to follow the person up ahead.

They were wearing stark white with a blue scarf that fluttered about their shoulders, and had royal blue hair that stood out against the deep green of our surroundings. Those features alone were enough to make them easy to follow through the thick forest.

They must have heard Fukase and I coming because they turned around once we got a bit nearer.

I was about to ask for help, but he spoke first.

"What are you kids doing so deep in the forest?"

I sighed. "Actually, we're lost. We got here on a cruise ship, but it needed repairs and so we had docked at the seaport town on the northwest side of the island. Do you know how to get there?"

"I sure do," he nodded. "I'm out here to get firewood, but once I'm done, I'll head back with you guys. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so."

I smiled. By some stroke of luck, we had found a way back. "Thank you so much—um, what was your name?"

"Just call me Kaito."

"Thank you, Mr. Kaito!"

As we followed him through the forest, we headed up to higher ground in search of drier wood. In my relief at finding someone to help us, it was easier to ignore the pain and soreness from my tired legs.

"You said you were on a cruise ship," Kaito started, "Why'd you get off in the first place? It's easy for two kids like you to get lost in a forest."

"That's true," I murmured, somewhat sheepishly. "But it would've been a waste not to appreciate the island's beauty."

He scoffed as if such an idea was ridiculous. "You can see a beautiful island again, I assure you. But if you got lost in the forest and ended up stuck here forever? There wouldn't be any more island hopping after that."

I couldn't help but think that he sounded a bit sad, almost wistful, but even as he lectured us there was some kind of mirth in his sapphire eyes.

~~~

"You can't be serious." Fukase muttered just loud enough for me to hear. The feeling was plenty mutual.

After we had filled one of Kaito's bags with firewood, we hiked back through the forest and he tossed it in his jeep which was at the foot of the mountain. There weren't any paved roads that went up high enough, he had explained, so he always made multiple trips to get enough wood. This time, since we were tagging along, he didn't make any extra trips and had to be satisfied with just one hulking bag full of wood.