Chapter 7: Pearl

The ship was quiet, nearly deserted, as we wandered through the silent halls to get to the captains' quarters. I was painfully aware of how the tapping of our shoes and consonants of our small talk echoed against the walls. The official embarkation day was tomorrow, so it made sense that the ship was quiet—but the stillness was almost eerie. I found myself missing Rana and Miki's chatter even though Fukase was with me.

Fukase seemed to recognize the quietness that surrounded us and spoke in a hushed voice. "Are cargo ships much different from cruise ships?" he asked.

"Well, for sure. Cargo ships are a lot more empty, and not nearly as decorated. It's pretty much just a few levels of long planks of wood, and then cargo stacked up on those levels. And then, of course, the captains' cabins."

"That makes sense. Is the cabin different? Or about the same?"

"On a cruise ship, the cabins are a bit bigger... but that's all I'm telling you. I don't want to ruin the surprise," I replied as we approached the bridge of the ship.

"Fair enough."

"Here, this is the bridge," I explained a few moments later, and pushed open the door to the bridge. "It's where the captain and ship crew mainly work, but right now it's empty. The crew's probably somewhere else. All the nautical charts are here, and the controls..."

I trailed off, noticing Fukase's expression. His eyes were wide with wonder, as if he'd just walked into Disneyland for the first time. I couldn't exactly blame hime either; when I had first stepped foot into the bridge, I was amazed too. I had been on container ship bridges, but this was entirely different.

"Can I...go look?" he asked, slightly bewildered.

"Of course!"

He immediately left his suitcase and went over to the large window panes that surrounded the horseshoe-shaped control panel. His awe wasn't unlike mine the first day I had set foot on the bridge of a cruise ship. It was much larger and more luxurious than the bridge of any cargo ship I'd been on.

I couldn't help but smile at his eagerness as he peered out of the window, staring at the bright blue waves that lapped against the vessel. He walked over to the starboard bridge wing and out to the lookout deck, and beckoned for me to follow.

"This is the view we get every day?" he said, gazing out to the back of the ship and then turning to grin at me.

"Yup. Oh, and you haven't even seen our cabin yet! It's above the bridge, so if the view is what you're interested in, then it's even better from up there." I tugged him along with me to the port bridge wing. Tucked in the corner was a small staircase that led up to the captain's cabin.

The staircase was short, but steep. Soon, we reached the top where it leveled out at a small platform. The carpet was short, and a light pearly beige color that was neatly paired with the warmer-toned oak door that stood before us.

"You can do the honors, if you'd like," I said, gesturing to the door.

Fukase smiled slightly and pushed it open. His eyes widened and I heard him give a light gasp when he stepped through the narrow doorway into the bright living room.

Sunlight filtered through the thin curtains, falling in streams over the blue sleeper sofa sprawled next to the windows. In front of the sofa was a teal carpet with sand-colored stripes thrown across it. A black coffee table rested lightly on top.

Further in, to the side there was a door leading outside to the balcony. There was a view that reached out to the front and back of the ship—similar to the bride wing deck we had previously gazed out from.