"Please Listen To Me Riff"

After he had been pulled back and held by the Jets at Riff's order,Tony was fighting against them to make them let go of him. But they won't listen to him as he struggles. As he continues to struggle,he heard the unsheathing sound and realized what it was and he was finally able to break free from the hold. He watches as his brother,his best friend was about to end the Sharks leader.

He ran over and grabbed Riff,dragging him away from Bernardo,"Ok. That's enough." Riff realizes he's being restrained,"Tony. Tony. Tony. Let go. Let go." Tony said,"Please listen to me Riff." Riff struggles and yells for Tony to let him go. Tony said,"Please Riff. Don't do this. I can't let you do this.

Buddy boy. This could end tragically for the Jets and me if we lose you. Or this could end with you sent upstate. I know it's happening but this is the last chance to back out before anything happens. Listen to me buddy,I'm begging you." Riff began to think about that. Riff stops struggling as he ponders Tony's words.

He goes lax in Tony's  hold. He knows that deep down Tony's right. The rumble may be happening now but this is his last chance to back out before tragedy happens. The rumble may be happening right now but Riff could listen to Tony before it's too late. Before he loses his life or gets sent upstate. Tony notices that Riff has gone lax in his arms and he can tell that he is thinking about what he had told him.

He hadn't wanted to pull Riff away like that,right when Riff was about to do what the Jets and Riff himself had wanted to do but it was the only way to try to save his life. He was thankful that he saw what was about to happen before it cost anyone their life. If he hadn't,it would have cost his best friend's life or it would have sent him upstate. Even though Riff might be mad at him,what he'd done might've saved his life.

Riff looks at him,"Tony,let me go. Let me go!" Tony said,"Riff,I am not letting you go. Because I know that it won't end up doing good. I can't let you do this,I won't let you go. Because the second I do,I'll lose you to death or being arrested and sent upstate. I won't let that happen to you buddy. I just can't let that happen." Riff lunges forward.

Tony tightened his hold on his best friend. The scene was fascinating to the Sharks. They were all smiling and laughing at them. This only served to fuel Riff's anger and determination and only worsened Tony's despairing feeling. Yes he was managing to keep Riff restrained but despairing never left from where it made itself cozy in him deep down in the pit of his stomach earlier.

The feeling never went away because of the fact that the minute he will let his guard down is when Riff might break away from the restraining hold that Tony has been trying to maintain but it was definitely not easy to do especially with Riff flailing around,trying to break free from Tony's hold.

He was giving it his all to keep Riff restrained because it was the only way to try to keep him alive. The only way to save his life. What if holding him back was the only way that Riff's life would be saved now? That is what Tony is currently thinking. Holding Riff back might be the only way to keep him safe,to keep him alive. It might be the only way to save his life now. Obviously calling the Rumble off would have been another way to keep Riff safe.

But his (Riff) stubbornness was too much to do a cancellation of the rumble anytime. The Jets and leader Riff were determined to have this rumble no matter what and there was nothing anyone not even Tony can say to Riff to have convinced Riff to change his mind,to call it off. Which is what led to this. Hopefully he can keep Riff held back to keep him protected,in order to save his life. Soon,the struggling from Riff had stopped.

Tony looked to see him on the ground before he stood up and he wasn't sure what to do because if he tries to fight,Tony will most likely just grab him and hold him back again. To Tony,it doesn't seem like Riff understands the reason Tony's trying to stop him,it seems like he thinks that Tony is only doing it because of the fact that Bernardo is Maria's brother and Tony loves Maria and if something happens to Bernardo,it indirectly is hurting Maria too.

But that's not all the reason why. Tony cared about Riff and he doesn't want to lose him. He is trying to keep him safe,to save his life. He is just trying to keep it to the agreement that Riff and Bernardo had made during the war council that had been held prior to this. Which is a fair fight but that quickly changed.  Things are getting out of control and not going the way that things should go.

It had gone way too far and was not really sticking to the agreement that Riff and Bernardo had made during the war council held prior. So he is doing this for love (Maria) and friendship (Riff),he is aware that anything that happens to Bernardo, it indirectly is hurting Maria too and he wants to save Riff's life before it's too late to save him. He is just trying to keep Riff alive and he is also trying to make sure that nothing happens that will indirectly hurt Maria too.

Riff soon falls limp in his arms and he looks down at him and sees he is breathing deeply as if he is surrending to his best friend Tony and so Tony takes his best friend away. But was it only a trick so Riff can fight Bernardo without the interference of Tony being there? Tony was not going to be sure just yet because he knows Riff better than anyone else and he had learned to not be fooled by him ever because it might end up going bad. Soon Riff stops the deep breathing he was doing and jumps forward but he is still held. He realized  he was outside the place now.