Chapter 3 - Ruins

Donnie's eyes opened, They were trapped inside what looked like a destroyed building. They couldn't see much yet. Their battle shell was completely wrecked. They shoved the loose rubble from their legs and used the wall to help support their woozy body. They walked along the wall, Feeling it until They found loose rubble, They pushed the rubble and Brief light hit their eyes. There was Yōkai children sobbing, Some were wounded.

The soft-shell ran towards the nearest Yōkai child, He was crying. "Shhhh it's uhm..ok?" The soft-shell never knew how to deal with children, But he was going to try. "My sisters gone!" The child wailed. The other Yōkai kids ran to the soft-shell and hugged the turtle, Them being the children's only comfort. They only wrapped their arms around the children, They'd let the children cry their tears out.

Donnie started to search the rubble, They'd managed to convince the children to let go of the soft-shell. They managed to find a first aid kit, Opening it up the soft-shell grabbed as much bandages and bandaids as they could carry. They went back over to the children, wrapped any bleeding wounds with the bandages and put bandaids on any small cuts. They finished wrapping wounds, There was one band-aid left. One of the Yōkai children snatched the band-aid from the turtle, Undid it and put the band-aid on the cut. The soft-shell smiled awkwardly. "Uhm..thanks-?" The child smiled. "Of course! You helped us so we might as well try to help you." The child sniffled. The children weren't crying anymore.

"Come on, Let's try and get out of here." The soft-shell told the children. "Mr turtle, How are we gonn' get out?" A child had asked. "Uh.." They scanned their surroundings then saw a few more streaks of light coming from the rubble. "See those light streaks? I'm gonna try to find loose rubble so we can make an exit!" They smiled. The children nodded in understanding. "We'll stay here..-!" The children said. The soft-shell gave a small nod then started going over to the cracks In the rubble. They pushed the rubble, They had to move to several different areas with loose rubble until they saw random debris and rocks fall. They held their weapon and prepared to attack humans. The head of warren stone popped out.

"Warren! Is anyone down there?" The voice of hypno called. "Yeah! It's Donnie and children." The worm replied. "Well since your here you would you mind helping or are you gonna stand there and look pretty?" The soft-shell grunted. Hypno reached his hand down. "Ok, Come on children! The hippo is gonna help us," the children very hesitantly grabbed the hippos hand. Once all the children were gone, The soft-shell was next. They grabbed the hippos hand and was lifted from the ruins of the building. They covered their eyes for a moment then stared at the city. There was fire everywhere, Embers flying and smoke rising.

"Where even are we? I don't even recognize this part of the city." The soft-shell huffed. Hypno sighed. "I don't recognize anything, Nobody does!" The hippo grunted. Warren jumped up onto the hippos shoulder. "We need to find a way to somewhere safe, Any ideas?" The soft-shell answered. "Probably the lair, We need to find a way to the sewers." The worm was the first to speak. "Well, Most of the sewer entrances are surrounded by armed guards..." The soft-shell thought for a moment. "We need to find an alleyway. Very specific one, And judging on how big mama's hotel is north of here, The alleyway is definitely northeast." Without an answer from anyone he started heading towards the northeast.

They had to all stop for the night, The wounded children were exhausted, And if Donnie was honest so were they. They set up a small camp, hiding behind a building. "You guys should get sleep, I can take the first watch." The soft-shell said to hypno and warren. The mutants didn't argue, and lay again the wall. Donnie kept flinching at every distant explosion. They were sending off bombs and rockets. After hours of silence they heard a high pitched noise. Donnie looked up and gasped. "Everyone get up!" They screeched.

The children all woke and Donnie shook hypno and warren. The building they were hiding behind was falling toward the mutants. "Kids come with me! We're gonna play a game of catch the hippopotamus!" Hypno said to the children. They ran from the cover of the building and got out of the way of it. They were going to leave when one of the children screamed. "My sister! Dune!" Donnie gasped as they saw a camel head pop out of a small hole in the ground. Without any hesitation the soft-shell ran to the collapsing building and grabbed the wailing child, and tried to run. The building was falling too fast. Only one of them was going to make it.

Donnie tossed the child to hypno. They felt heavy boulders fall onto them and darkness corrupt their vision.

Hypno and warren tossed rubble and boulders away until they found the soft-shell, when the two found the turtle their leg was crushed. Hypno lightly grabbed the turtle and lifted them. Their shell had scratches on it, there was several cuts and bruised on their skin. The turtle groaned. "Donnie!" Warren exclaimed. The soft-shells head shook. "Is the kid ok-?" Both the worm and hippo nodded. "Good. The alleyways ten minutes away. Mind helping me walk..-?" Hypno nodded and helped the soft-shell stand. Donnie's leg was dragging on the rubble covered ground as they reached the sewer entrance. Donnie opened it and let his body slide down the latter with the children and hypno behind them. Warren was propped on the hippo's shoulder. "Right then-now where do we go?" The hippo asked. Donnie pointed to a tunnel and they all slowly walked towards it.

They reached the drain of the lair and slowly walked inside. Donnie sighed in relief at the sight of Leo and mikey. "Donnie!" Mikey exclaimed and ran over to the soft-shell. Leo limped over. "You look like hell," Leo said with a light chuckle. "Oh I know your not talking. Now do you mind if I sit down?" Leo didn't answer and only hugged his brother, As did mikey. Donnie had never known what to do in these situations, But hugged back.