Chapter 5-The Freaky Forest

Outskirts of Tusca, West Artena

Northern Gate of the Western Artenian Intelligence Agency

2100 Hours

The four guards outside of the Agency gate were bored.

It wasn't their fault; just about anyone would skirt their responsibility. Soldiers patrolling inside the gate on the campus would glance at the four guards with pity every time they passed.

Patrolling outside meant, well . . . outside. The Agency had been built in a large clearing of the Kartan Pine Forest. While this allowed the agents to practice in secrecy but only be a dozen minutes away from Tusca, the capital of West Artena, it made guarding a pain in the butt. There were three reasons for this:

Firstly, the forest. There were a lot of things that could create noise through shrubbery—many of which were not human. As stated in their duty, the soldiers had to investigate every racket to ensure the area was secure. And since it was dark outside, it took even more time. 

Secondly, the Agency used all of its funding to pay its agents—there was no money left to hire guards. Ergo, the "guards" were first-year agents "learning the lay of the land." One wouldn't exactly guard an organization taking advantage of its power with their life.

Thirdly, a ten-hour workday was tiring—even more than usual since the guards had the night shift. Furthermore, standing in one place without action was good in their career—but not necessarily exciting. And if one adds that the guards were in the last hour of their shift . . . caring about their job was the least of their concerns.

To the left and slightly forward, the sound of shrubbery shaking filled the air.

All four guards looked at each other in tense silence. They were split into two teams, Rho and Upsilon, and split further depending on rank, with Alpha One being higher than Alpha Two.

"Not it," Upsilon Two—a tall and skinny man—said quickly. 

"Verbal declinations mean nothing," Rho One dismissed. He was an older man with gray hair peeking through his army helmet, which further upped his reluctance to go. "We went last time, so now it's your turn."

"Actually, I think it's our turn . . ." Rho Two corrected. Despite being a hulky man twice the height of his senior, it only took a quick glare from Rho One to shut him up.

"Are you stupid?" the man scolded his subordinate. "You don't need to correct me whenever I look out for us. Do you want to go into the deep dark spooky woods?"

"No," Rho Two responded meekly, cowed by his senior's impressive alliteration.

"So shut up," Rho One said. "And let me handle this."

"Why don't we settle this like men?" Upsilon One suggested, ever the diplomat. "Let's settle the order right here and right now."

The other three agreed to it. Their excitement was seen in their eyes as they gripped their weapons tightly as if about to open fire.

"But won't the threat have time to prepare?" Upsilon Two asked. He worriedly glanced to the forest, where the sound came from.

"It's probably some night critter," Upsilon One said. "Or wind. The last team standing can take today off, so I'm not worried."

"You should be," Rho One said. "Because I'm going to defeat you!"

And then the leaders promptly let go of their weapons to play rock, paper, scissors. 

"Dang it!" Rho One howled when Upsilon One beat his "paper" with "scissors." 

Upsilon One grinned triumphantly. "Good luck out there!" he wished, high-fiving his subordinate.