AFTER 7 YEARS (Part 9)

Solar had just gotten off the phone with Hwasa when she ordered everyone to gather in the con room.

"You're back?" she asked in surprise when she saw Jimin and Tae Hyung walking towards her, still wearing their jackets.

"Yes, Captain."

"Found anything?"

Jimin shook his head. "Proper alibis for each and every single one of them. They didn't even recognize him until we told them his nickname. None claimed to have seen him since they graduated university."

"I see. Alright. Let's go then. Where's Inspector Moon?" she asked, looking for the only missing team member.

"Right here, Captain." Byul pocketed her phone and rushed out of the pantry.

Solar closed the door to the con room once everyone was seated and gestured to Seulgi to display the details of the second murder.

"Okay. So we have another body on our hands. This man, Yoo Jun-sang, used to work for Ji-sub, dealing drugs. We busted him, made him work for us, Ji-sub found out, almost killed him but we took him out of the organization and put him under our protection. He'd been safe since until someone decided to kill him in a similar way Won-jae was killed. Why?"

"Is one of Ji-sub's men trying to get revenge? Because both victims were traitors to the organization," suggested Jimin.

"I thought that too but I spoke to Senior Inspector Jung Jin Young and even my father. All Ji-sub's surviving crew wouldn't have known about this man and Won-jae. They're the small fries, the dealers, the bookies... people down the chain who don't know anything about what's going on in the higher ups," said the captain. "And we've put all the higher ups away. They're either dead or behind bars."

"But there's always rumors, gossips. Maybe someone found out and demanded revenge," Tae Hyung said. "It could be someone from the middle management."

"But why now?" Seulgi spoke. "Why do this after seven years? Why not go after Won-jae when he was still permanently living in Seoul? That would've been much easier."

"Maybe the killer couldn't?" Byul said. "Maybe he was in jail and just got out recently? Maybe he heard about the downfall of the organization while he was in prison and had been trying to come up with some kind of revenge plan since then."

"That's plausible. Maybe this Yoo Jun-sang person was middle management or knew someone powerful within the organization," replied Solar. "Assistant Inspector Kim, find out which members of Ji-sub's organization were released in the past year. We're looking for someone with connection."

"Will do, Captain," replied Tae Hyung.

"I bet my lunch that Kim Go-eun's brother is among them," said the captain.

"That Kim Go-eun has a brother?"

Solar nodded. "Apparently so. Inspector Ahn just briefed me. She met Kim Go-eun and her daughter who are still living in their last known address. The two told them what happened."

She proceeded to brief the team with the information that Hwasa had passed onto her.

"What?! So that goshiwon room was prepared for his daughter?" exclaimed Seulgi.

"We think so. It fits what Inspector Min-seok told me," Solar said, referring to Xiumin. "Won-jae's supervisor said that he requested a secret transfer to a Seoul hospital just a few days before his disappearance. He was preparing his move."