CHAPTER 11

FOUR YEARS LATER

4327.1.15

Dana lifted her wrist unit for the fifth time in two minutes to check for incoming messages. She knew what was coming, and hated herself for wishing it wouldn't.

She took a deep breath, the crisp smell of pine on the morning air filling her lungs. The rest of her crew from the Stellar waited single-file behind the covered stage. Their welcome home ceremony was due to begin any minute.

To be honored in front of their closest family, friends, and the military's most decorated and experienced officers didn't happen every day. The buzz of unbridled energy passed between them as they murmured among themselves. This ceremony would seal her success as one of the youngest female captains on her world, ensuring she'd have an esteemed career, just like her father.

After the destruction of the Atlantis, it was rumored the Space Fleet was already hard at work on more starships. Dana hadn't wanted to be a part of any of it. Her father's death had left a hole she couldn't fill. How could she ever live up to the life he'd left behind?

Then Space Fleet had reached out with a commission A chance to rise up in the ranks on board another ship. An offer only a fool would refuse. Her father was gone, but the desire to make him proud remained. She'd found a way to make her own mark and fill the aching void in her soul.

Over the last four years, she'd managed to get assigned to both of the remaining short-range starships, and had taken command of the Stellar ten months ago. While on a mission to collect data from one of their field modules on a nearby moon, her ship had encountered a nebulous cloud of deuterium–a hydrogen-based compound they'd been using to fuel their starships for extended deep space missions. Because of her quick thinking and the ingenuity of her crew, they were able to gather the isotope in bulk and safely transport it home. The world government was so grateful, they'd decided to honor them in an official ceremony.

It would be some time before another ship would be launched into space. They'd be kept busy doing groundwork while they waited for their next mission–should another come along. More than half of her crew had received various high profile re-assignments in the interim. Like a mother bear, she was protective of her crew, and she'd made sure that each of their recommendations came with stern warnings not to ruin her people in her absence. Not for the first time, Dana looked them over, scanning for any pin, button, or hair out of place, but every one of them gleamed in the morning light of Zelenia's two small suns.

Lieutenant Spires' eyes lit up with unrestrained excitement as he caught hers. His straight blond hair was long enough to lay plastered against his scalp. "You look good in your uniform, Captain Pinet."

"You, too," Dana replied. The pink in his cheeks deepened, and she immediately wanted to take it back.

Lieutenant Nancy Westlake, the young hot-shot who prided herself on being as good a pilot as Dana, stood between her and Spires. Dana didn't miss the raised eyebrow she gave her, or the significance behind it.

The compliment had seemed harmless enough on its own, but she'd learned from experience that a relationship with someone on her crew was a mistake not worth making twice. Spires had the doe eyes of a man wanting to start something, and she wondered why she hadn't realized it until now. She filed through the current posts in her mind, trying to remember where they'd sent him, then pushed a mental curse to the back of her mind, trying to act casual. She lifted her wrist unit and checked again.

"Don't worry, she'll come," Spires said, pulling her attention from her empty message list. "They always show up for stuff like this. My mom fawned over me for an entire day when I told her about the ceremony."