Chapter 4: Lois

Present time...

Lois...

" Tell me, ma'am Lois, why you cannot give one chance to our co-worker Sebert"

It was still early in the morning when our Appliance Manager blocked my way and throw this question when I passed their department going to my office. He was referring to his sales assistant who happened to be my constant suitor for almost two years now.

"Sir, with all due respect Linot knows from the start my reasons and I have been stopping him from courting me"

"Is it because he is in low position than you?" he pushed.

"No, all of you here know that I don't care much about the work position. I care more about the future together and honestly, I cannot see myself being married to him"

My answer seemed took him aback. He stared at me for a while and said; "so meaning, you don't have any feelings for him?"

"Yes, but I appreciate him as my co-worker, how responsible and dedicated he is but I don't have anything for him romantically" by that, he stepped back.

"Okay, I understand"

I saw the sadness in his eyes which I understand, knowing how hard they tried to make this match possible, my manager, my supervisor, and some co-workers had been hauling me for that so-called one chance. But from the beginning, I know in my heart and Sebert knows that my answer is NO, and it will always be. But he seems cannot accept it yet, the exact reason why until now he is still waiting, exerting all his efforts to show me that he is sincere. A day like yesterday has become his typical routine almost every day.

_________
Yesterday:

I was sitting in my office, very early in the morning, trying to solve something about my alpha list. I have been working on this for a month but have not found yet a perfect formula that will automatically compute our taxes and their deductible. I only have less than a month from the deadline. Sebert Linot entered our office. Almost every day, before we start working he was here, already cleaning and mopping our floor. It becomes part of his daily duty.

"Good morning Maam" he greeted me.

"Good morning" I respond to him without giving him a look as I continue checking in Microsoft excel some formula that might work for what I need.

I was very focused on my task at hand and did not notice anything in my surroundings. After a long while I felt like someone is gawking at me, so I raised my head to check and I saw him there, standing tall and towering over me, he was grinning in his navy blue uniform and khaki pants, his hair was neatly combed with a trace of gel in it. Approximately, he is between 5'7 to 5'8 in height, his pale completion shows his absence of sun exposure, and he is neither fat nor thin. My brows raised immediately, I was confused why he was grinning and looked so amused.

"What's wrong?" I asked him frowning.

"You are so beautiful when you are like that, very focused," he said smiling.

I give him a serious look as I began to feel the heat on my cheek. How could this man talk to me like this! without any inhibition! he is out of line, we are in our workplace. My mind was screaming hard. But out of respect, I did not say anything.

"What do you want for breakfast?" He asked, ignoring my reaction. And just right after his question, my officemates started teasing me. I did not even notice that they have arrived.

"Oy, so sweet. So concerned" says one of my officemates from her cubicle.

"What you want to eat Lois," my other officemate said mimicking his voice.

Hearing them makes me want to hide under my table or say something unpleasant to Sebert but I don't want to insult or shame Sebert in front of my officemates so I just said;

"Nothing, thank you. If you excuse me?" my hand pointed to my computer as I turned my back to him and continue my work. By that, he left in silence.
Every day, it has become more known to everybody that he is courting me. As for now, from our manager to our sales lady and our utility teams, including the guards know it already.

I noticed that my every move, action, attire, etc are being watched. People felt comfortable teasing and even criticizing me because for them I am a challenge, merciless, and have a heart of stone for not giving Sebert a chance to prove himself worthy of me. It has been my struggle ever since this courtship become public and it's been very hard for me to stay firm but I am very thankful to God for His grace every day.

Before I went to the office that morning I received a lot of messages from him since 3 a.m., dawn on the same day.

"What is he doing? Flooding me with more than 15 text messages a day will not change anything" I spoke to myself in a loud voice.

"He was just taking advantage of the unliText (unlimited text) ma'am," Jane commented from her bed, she is my roommate, and we are living in the same staff house the company provided us, with our Supervisor. Jane is our Pharmacy in charge.

" That is true, you have a point" I told her in agreement.

"Just say yes and after one month, that flooded text will disappear" she was laughing

"I agree with you 100 percent! I know, this is only for a courting period. We are not ignorant of Men's tactics these days" I told her sadly.

"Why don't you give him a chance? and we will see how he will behave. We don't know maybe he is different and truly sincere" she suggested.

"No Jane, I cannot do that to him, I know already that he is not the man for me, so I will not give him false hope and then, later on, break his heart. You know he invited me for lunch this Saturday"

"Go, have lunch together. There you have all the time to talk to him frankly" she said giving me an idea.

"I will think about it. It's not really in my heart to accept his invitation. Imagine he will spend his money for lunch and I will just crash his heart after, that will be cruel" I said shaking my head as I get ready for my bath.

"Well, sorry for him," she said smiling. But when I just sigh, she changes our topic. "By the way, when are you going home? I remember you mentioned traveling home" I was in the door of our room when she asked.

"Yes! it will be next week from Thursday to Monday" I cannot hide my excitement thinking about it.

"Ohh, great!! enjoy your vacation then"

"Thank you, Janie! It will be different this time because I will be going to our farmhouse together with my two sisters,"  I told her before I enter the bathroom to shower.

"Really?"

"Yes! its been a while since I last visited our farm"

"That would be lovely! I was raised on the farm too. Don't forget to take photos!" I heard her loud voice from the bathroom. It was the first time that I learn that she was also raised by a farmer.

 It was the first time that I learn that she was also raised by a farmer

This is how I picture Lois, a very simple lady.