girl gone paradoxical

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

CHAPTER FIVE:
Girl gone paradoxical

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

           CHA SEONG-EUN didn't know a lot of things.

But, if there was one thing she was truly well versed about, it was running. From her problems, life, job— anything. It was something she had known all her life, because she had never been one to face her fears, nor had she ever been courageous. Foolhardy, maybe: reckless decision made because of the rush of adrenaline coursing through her, but that was all, never was it purely because of her will or bravery.

Just as she was doing right now: running.

Well, not exactly right now, more like about to. Her feet are glued to the ground, trembling, and her hands were none the wiser. She desperately tried to unlock the door as her dead-but-not-dead boyfriend just suddenly decided that death was not for him, nuh-uh. The only thing he needed to do next was to walk on water or turn it to wine— or do both— and Cha Seong-eun would have folded and cried to God.

But he wasn't, instead, he was walking so draggingly, damningly, exceedingly, frustratingly— she couldn't think of other words to verbalize her frustration— slow that she had half the mind to assist him.

But she didn't, she wasn't that stupid— she'd like to think so.

So she did what any sane person would do in this situation and panicked. Her heart was beating so loudly in hear ears that it almost sounded like a high pitched ring. Sweat dripped from her skin, so slow that she almost wiped it off, but she kept her focus on the problem at hand, mind spinning in countless possibilities. And all of those possibilities ended in her death.

"You're supposed to be dead." She spoke shakily, trying to rationalize herself because she was a few seconds from pissing herself in fear. "You should've stayed dead."

His steps were careful and muted, but she swore she could hear him so perfectly clear and loud. She was  aware of him; practically smelling his stench, rot entering through her nose and to her brain, settling itself to the forefront of her mind so she'd remember that he was dead and she was the one who killed him.

Then, she realized, he was a few feet apart— she felt her hand shaking persistentlythen centimeters— god she was gonna die

Awareness heightened, she blatantly noticed he was a breadth away.

Giving one last glance, she felt dread settling on her stomach as he lunged at a speed she had not seen earlier and—

—with a burst of strength, the door opened loudly, echoing throughout the empty hallway outside. She immediately ran outside, not looking back— never looking back because you do not look back at a dead man— and harshly closing the door. She could hear him slam in the door loudly, a cacophony of groans following after. It sounded inhuman, and it gave Cha Seong-eun a sort of relief. That was not him anymore.

And she thought it was done— thought it was all over, but the world must've hated her, fate abhorred her! Oh, everyone wants to see her suffer.

She turned to the side, suddenly hearing a piercing scream and saw a bunch of people running towards her, skin sickly yellow and sallow, eyes horribly sunken, and permeating a scent of death. No, people would not be the right term to call them, a zombie was more fitting.

Deadlier, agile and was about to tackle her if she didn't roll back, tumbling against the ground harshly.

Before she could mull over her bruise and praise herself for her quick reflex, she heard another sound of screeching down to the right side of the hallway and she paled.