2. The Jack of hearts- End Game

The Jack of hearts- End Game

'I don't think I can keep playing this game. It's so messed up,' Ippei was so distraught that he was nearly crying and sank down on the floor. 'I thought that people were much better than this.'

'Man, you led a charmed life,' Chishiya said, looking at him like he could not believe anyone could be so naive. 'I'm sorry. But this is our reality now. Maybe we won't get out of this alive.'

Was that a fleeting hint of compassion crossing his face? Sadness? Well disguised contempt? I wasn't sure, but he continued in that same calm comforting voice.

'But even so, all we can do for now is help each other, so that we can get out of this game.'

Ippei did not seem convinced, so we both sat down next to him.

'We can do this.' I took his hand and squeezed it reassuringly. 'This will be over soon. We can do it.'

It seemed that he calmed down a bit, his breathing slowed down to almost normal. Chishiya turned around and asked him to tell him his symbol. Ippei lifted his head to look, tears and despair clearly visible in his eyes.

'Heart,' he said before his head sank again.

Chishiya's usually calm face looked haunted, and I was unpleasantly certain that he could see the the same worried expression on mine. This time as I later stood alone in my cell, my insides felt cold with fear and dread.

'Club,' I said, then closed my eyes and waited, praying for only silence.

But there it came, the sound of an exploding collar. Feeling certain of what had happened, I leaned my head against the cold gray wall, struggling to keep the tears back.
It must have taken me longer than I thought to regain my composure, because when I finally opened the door the hallway was empty. I remembered something I'd seen in the control room, and headed back there. A quick glance at the screen confirmed that sadly I had been right. Ippei's picture had turned dark. I went to the round open desk, and bent down, searching. There in a worn box was some dusty fabric. It turned out to be an old tablecloth, which might have been white once upon a time. I picked it up, gave it a good shake and took it with me.

Stopping outside the door to the cell I had seen Ippei enter, I braced myself before I opened it. He laid face down on the floor, blood spatter all over the walls and floor. I covered his body with the cloth, and placed a hand on his back. I felt as though I should say something, but no words came to my mind.

'He was too kind for this world.' I turned around, startled. Chishiya stood just outside. I nodded, got to my feet and went out to him.

'It's a nice gesture, but I don't think it matters to him anymore,' he looked at the cloth, stains of blood had already started seeping through it.

'Not for him,' I said, 'for me.'

I saw the patronizing look he gave me, and my voice grew icier. 'One small act of humanity does not make us weak.' I folded my arms in front of me, matching his stance. 'Don't worry. I'm not going to crack. I'll do what is needed, be ruthless if I must.' He actually looked a bit surprised at that. Hah, don't think you have me all figured out just yet, I thought.

'We will win this,' I said confidently.

He raised an amused eyebrow. 'Glad to hear it,' he said. 'Does this confidence mean that you know who the Jack of hearts is?'

My shoulders sank a bit, and I made a wry face. 'No, I kind of have two suspects, and was rather hoping that you had it figured out.'

'Same here,' he admitted, and I curiously wondered if his suspects were the same as mine.