5. Back with Kuina

I had spent hours roaming the streets without seeing any other players. We had split up today, to see if we could get a good overview of the remaining games, so we could go ahead with our plans. The only game in our neighborhood was still the King of hearts, but not too far away I could see more red cards and I marked them down on my improvised map. It seemed like both the other diamonds were still undefeated. If so, Chishiya might want to go for one of those next, I thought. One airship was on the move in the far distance, so the King of spades was still a threat, roaming the city. I couldn't really see how any of us would be able to beat him. Not without an army. I sighed and continued walking.

As I turned around a corner I saw a lone slender figure walking unsteadily towards me, the sun was in my eyes so I didn't recognize her at first.

'Kuina? Is that you?' I called when I was fairly certain it was indeed her. She stopped and looked up.

'Hey you,' she said, taking out the fake cigarette that as always was in her mouth, and attempting a smile. She was in a bad state, covered in small cuts and bruises, one nasty looking gash covering almost the length of her upper arm. It looked red and swollen. A small backpack was slung over her other shoulder.

'What on earth happened to you?' I gasped, although it was not so hard to guess, not here. 'Come on, come with me. We need to get you inside, and take care of those wounds.'

'Great idea.' She looked feverish , and when I reached out to touch her forehead she was burning hot. This was not good, not considering our poor medical supplies. I hoped she had plenty of days left on her visa, cause it would be some time before she'd be ready for another game. We walked slowly as I led her towards our hide out, the deep gash on her arm looked worse by the minute I thought.

'Chishiya will be so happy to see you,' I said, trying to cheer her up a little.

'Chishiya?' her eyes lit up, 'Chishiya's alive? And he's with you?'

I smiled. 'Yeah, alive and well. Come on, we're almost there.'

– – – – –

But when we arrived he was nowhere to be seen, so I planted Kuina on one of the couches, put some water to boil and brought her some juice and snacks. While she ate I dug out some towels, soap, plasters, bandages and the last of the disinfectant wipes. I had cleaned most of her small wounds when Chishiya appeared waving what I assumed was his part of the map at me.

'Ok, let's put these together, so we can...' He stopped when he saw us. 'Kuina? You're here.' His surprise was almost funny to watch, and Kuina gave him a little wave with her good hand.

'I'm so happy to see you. I had a feeling you'd still be alive, but it's great to actually see you,' she beamed at him as he walked closer, and got up on her feet, swaying slightly.

'You too,' he said warmly, but keeping some distance between them, smoothly defusing any hugging attempts. I waved him closer, pointing at the deep gash, and his face darkened when he saw it. He probed gently around it, and like I had, touched her forehead to estimate the fever.

'We have some paracetamol,' I said quietly, but for this...'

'No, you're right. What we have here will not be enough.'

He turned to Kuina, 'That wound there is already infected. You'll need antibiotics,' he said calmly. 'The pharmacies here are mostly empty now, but there's a hospital not far from here. I'll go there and see what I can find.'

'Alone?' I argued. 'It might be quicker if I go with you.

'No, stay here with Kuina,' he said, 'I know what I'm looking for. I'll be faster on my own.' Something in his voice told me that more arguing would be a waste of time, so I just nodded. 'Be careful.'