10. Amnesia - back to the real world

'Miss, can you hear me?' a voice tried to get through the roaring sound in my ears, as somebody shone a very bright light in my eyes. A white robed someone. More white clad people scurried around in the hallway behind him. A hospital, I was in a hospital. My mind felt sluggish and numb. Then it hit me. A hospital! Chishiya! My heart skipped a beat. He must be here as well, surely he must have made it back.

I tried to get up, but another nurse, armed with a tray full of various bandages, replaced the first, and I impatiently let her clean and dress all my nicks and cuts. One arm was already tightly wrapped up, only my fingers peaking out from the bandage. Oddly I couldn't feel any pain. I wasn't sure if that was because I was still in chock, or if they had simply pumped me full of painkillers when I was unconscious. Finally we were done, and as she started reorganizing her tray for the next patient, I stood up and asked,

'I'm looking for someone. My friend. His name is Chishiya. About this tall,' I lifted my uninjured hand a bit over my head to show her. Shoulder length, blondish hair. Perhaps you have seen him?'

She shook her head. 'No, but there's been so many. Try asking at the desk, but we have only been able to identify few of you with names.'

She hurried away and I followed her at a much slower pace. The hallway was crowded, and I did my best not to bump in to anyone, at the same time as I craned my neck, desperately searching for a familiar face. I passed TV screens showing images of the meteorite strike that had taken out such a large part of the city, but I barely noticed them. Nobody seemed to know where Chishiya was, if he was in this hospital, or even alive. But no, of course he was. He had to be. I swallowed hard at the growing lump in my throat, and resorted to going from room to room, searching. This hospital seemed endless, like in a nightmare the rooms continued in eternity. One more room, just one more, one more.

Then, there he was. I stood frozen in the doorway, staring wide eyed at him, overwhelmed by the emotions that flooded me.

'Chishiya.'

It was barely more than a whisper, but he opened his eyes as I quickly closed the distance to his bed and grasped his hand. There was no blood, he was dressed in a hospital gown and it looked like someone had made an effort to brush his hair. He still looked a bit pale, but not at all like before. I smiled at him even as I felt tears of relief and happiness rise in my eyes.

'Chishiya. We made it. You're alive, you're alive.' I leaned forward to kiss him, but something in his eyes made me hesitate. 'Chishiya? Are you ok? What's wrong?' I asked tentatively.

He slowly withdrew his hand from mine, his eyes growing more distant.

'It seems,' he said, 'that somehow you have the right name, but the wrong person.' His eyes narrowed, and after looking me up and down, he added. 'Perhaps you have a concussion, you should ask your doctor to check your head.'

'That's not funny, you know,' I snapped at him, he couldn't be serious, could he? 'Are you trying to say that you don't remember me?'

'We have never met, I'm certain of it.'

That was it, the look on his face and the chilly tone in his voice said it all, he truly had no clue as to whom I was. This had to be a joke, some cruel, cruel joke. I wanted to come up with some witty response, something that would make him laugh and then everything would be as it should. But no such words came to me and I just stared at him in disbelief, raising a trembling hand to my lips, mumbling to myself.

'This can't be, it can't. Not after everything we've been through.'

'Well, if he doesn't want you, sweetheart, you're welcome to come over here and hold my hand. I'll even let you kiss me. Not as good looking now as I used to be, though.'