Chapter 22: Birthday

It was Monday. Two days after Naoto met the mysterious person, who turned out to be a girl.

Yes, it's a monday again, Naoto's "favourite" day, but today was his birthday.

It was 6 in the morning, and he was still sleeping. He would usually be awake by this time, but he decided to give himself a little more rest. He put his alarm to ring when it was 6:30 AM. School started at 7:30, so he had plenty of time still.

It was currently 6:14. Nagatoro made her way from her dorm to his. She knew the passcode on the door, since they practically live together (They just spend that much time together).

She opened the door, closed it, and sneaked into his room. He was still sleeping.

"I knew he'd be still asleep." She whispered to herself.

She crawled into his bed on the side, and hugged him from the side.

"Naoto..." She whispered into his ear.

"Mhm?" He responded with a quiet hum.

"Wake up birthday boy." She kept whispering.

He opened his eyes and looked into hers. It was the most comfortable silence he ever had in his life. She slowly leaned towards him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Happy birthday." She said.

Naoto smiled and kissed her back.

"Thanks."

They got up and started getting ready for school.

"I'm gonna take a quick shower." Naoto said.

Nagatoro smirked and looked at him, which made him have a bamboozled look on his face.

"I'll shower with you. Can I not?" She asked in a quiet voice. In her head, she thought she could tease him a little, but she was just way too nervous.

"Sure." He smiled.

"Wha-"

15 MINUTES LATER

They showered and got ready for school. Nagatoro was nervous the whole time, considering the fact they just took a shower together.

They sat dowm and started eating breakfast.

"You know, I really don't feel like going to class today..."
Nagatoro started, giving Naoto a tiresome look.

"I would ask why, but you always feel like that." Naoto joked, making her smile a little.

"Oh shut up." She said trying to hold back her smile.

"No, but really... what brought this?" He asked in a curious demeanor.

"Well..." She looked away " Since it's your birthday... I thought maybe we could spend the day together... If you want..." She asked, making him blush a little at the sight of his girlfriend being shy.

"I know I know..." He finished his meal, stood up, and kissed her forehead "but I don't want us both skipping school just because it's my birthday it's nothing really special." He proclaimed, sounding a little sad, which shocked Nagatoro.

He wasn't usually like this, and she expected him to be happy about his birthday, but he didn't seem so like it.

"Is everything okay?" She looked up at him.

It ticked him off a little because he tried hiding his emotions.

"Hahahaha it's okay, really. I'm just not really fond of my birthday. It is my 18th so I guess there's that. At least I'm happy about it." He laughed and smiled, and it did seem a little genuine, but Nagatoro just wouldn't fall for it.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, I won't be in town after 11PM. My parents had an urgent call with me about something, so I'm gonna be out of town until tomorrow morning." He said

Nagatoro felt a little sad, but she realised something. His parents weren't in town either, they were on one of those usual business trips. Which means he lied. But why would he lie about something like that?

They spent the whole day together, and went to Nagatoro's dorm at around 10 PM.

NAGATORO POV

"So you'll be going in an hour?"

"Yeah" He anwsered. He sounds distressed. Something has to be going on...

"Naoto... is everything okay?"

He took a moment and looked at me with a smile.

"It is, you really don't have to worry." He anwsered.

He almost sounded like a robot. I don't think I ever met someone who lies this bad in my life.

I'm not gonna go into this deeper than I already did, since it seems like something is off.

But why would he be hiding something from me... Does he... No... That can't be the case... I don't think he has someone he's interested in beyond me... At least I hope he doesn't.

We spent the next 45 minutes in bed cuddling and playing with eachother like usual, and after that, he got up and said he had to go. We said our goodbyes, and he left.

Something was definetly off...

As much as I hate to do this, I'll have to call Kena. She might know things about him that I don't, since they're childhood friends.