Apex Legends | Stories from the Outlands - Shadows and Silhouettes

_______________________

Shadow. A daunting silhouette haunted Thomas' dreams through the night. Nightmares were normal, but this... this was different. The shadow had hollowed, pitch black skin with a single blue eye. A misty aura of shadows flowed off of his every joint, and it whispered the phrase 'Snuff the light' over and over as a pair of blue spheres hovered in between its hands.

Thomas' eyes fluttered open to white light in his eyes. Muffled echoes and shouts of mad scientists filled the room.

As Thomas groaned awake, he heard a gasp of surprise. "He's waking up, sir." Multiple hands pressed against his chest and shoulders, pushing him down. 

"Prepare another Sedative..." A scientist said. 

Moments later, there was a pinch in Thomas' neck, and his vision began to blur again. He managed to hear someone echo "Programmed trials..." and everything went black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suddenly he jolted awake with a gasp, his eyes wide, he groaned as he sat up from what felt like a rock hard floor, despite being on a comfy looking mattress. His head throbbed with pain, like someone was hammering a nail in his head, his throat was parched, his lips were chapped and his chest burned with a piercing passion. 

My name is Thomas. He thought. 

He began to wonder what the hell happened before any of this, but he couldn't remember... anything. For the next hour he just sat there, despite his throbbing pain in his chest, despite the strong chill that hung dormant in the room, despite the beads of sweat that formed on his forehead and neck, he just sat there, his feet hanging off the bed as he tried to recall even a single thing that may have occurred prior to this moment. 

He couldn't. 

When he finally stood to his feet, he felt strangely exhausted, more so than usual, soreness and fatigue were never more present. The coolness of the polished wood floor underneath his callused feet gave him a strong morning chill, he couldn't wrap his head around any of it. 

"Hello?" He tried to say but his voice was but a raspy whisper. Surprised at how raspy his voice sounded, he began questioning his sanity and retreating to the bathroom, turning on the tap, and splashing cold water on his face. 

He couldn't feel it. 

The water hit his face, rolled down his cheeks, dripped from his chin. But he couldn't feel the water itself, he couldn't feel the refreshing coolness of it; and that caused his' stomach to churn with confusion. Suddenly, the lights flickered, causing him to instinctively look up. He noticed the lights were now emitting a blue color instead of the normal yellow. He leaned in to get a closer look, staring at the light with curiosity and caution. But then he starts to question if this, ANY of this is even real.

Then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a daunting image in the mirror; a humanoid silhouette, reminiscent of the one he saw in his dreams, standing idle in a pitch black room. The room he was in was filled with an eerie blue light, but in the mirror it was all black, or at least a dark shade of it. He got a closer look at the humanoid shape, to his surprise it began moving in sync with his movement. Suddenly small, spherical glows of blue appeared at the head of the silhouette. Eyes.

"What... are you." He thought aloud, letting his curiosity outweigh his fear. 

There was nothing but eerie silence that hung in the air. No hum of electricity, which was peculiar because, the lights were on-though emitting an unusual color-they were on, there was no clattering of Kitchen utensils, nothing. nothing but the strange ring in his ears due to the stillness of solitude.