Chapter 2

Silence. The air had suddenly become heavy around them. "Rejected !" The words echoed like the sound of a drum in Nightjar's mind. She refused to turn in her mother's direction, afraid of the judgment she would face when she looked into her eyes. It was obvious to her that she had disappointed her mother.

Nightjar had never felt the urge to join the military, but she was hurt. Hurt that she had spent time working for nothing. Hurt by the expectations that had been placed on her. The weight on her shoulders had not lightened, but rather had increased. She wanted to show her family that she was worth something, that she could succeed.

She saw out of the corner of her eye her sister, Poplar, who had changed her expression from one of joy to one of compassion for her siblings. She must have felt sad for them. However, Nightjar may have noticed a bit of arrogance and disdain when she met her sister's gaze, looking like she was thinking : "I knew it. The outcome was already known."

Finally, she looked back at Root and was surprised. She was not looking at her children, but instead was staring straight at Toad. Nightjar could not describe whether her mother was angry or disappointed. She stood still, smiling in the same way she had when she entered that dark room, as if Toad's words had not reached her. Denial was the best word Nightjar could think of to describe her. Still, her tail betrayed her as it wagged in frustration.

This silence was finally broken. "Could you repeat that ?" finally asked Root coldly. The contrast between the smile and the question sent shivers down Nightjar's spine, as she had never seen her mother like this before.

"Well," answered Toad with a touch of hesitation, "only Poplar has achieved the result the army expected. It's not that the others didn't succeed, but...

- Then why aren't they all taken ?! she retorted, carrying the thoughts of all her children.

- Madam, you should know that you are addressing an authority figure, that is to say myself, so I am going to ask you to calm down for a moment please. Besides, you are not in a position to negotiate."

Root was about to add to this. However, she stopped and took it in stride, knowing that there was no point in getting upset. When she was in this state of anger, Nightjar had watched her perform the same ritual to keep control of herself. She tended to take a deep breath and then exhale noisily, while closing her eyes and indeed that is what she did.

"Before I explain your denials," Toad continued, "I wish to address Poplar. My congratulations. The army would be willing to take you on as an officer, but with your leadership skills, I'm sure you'll rise in the hierarchy very quickly." The principal thanked him with a big smile. "I will gladly join !" she added emotionally and happily.

Nightjar continued her inspection, turning to her other comrades. Bull was quite perturbed since few large wings are not accepted in this field. Viper, true to form, wore a relaxed face. Like Nightjar, she had to start letting off steam.

Reed, on the other hand, seemed to be hiding his joy, juggling shyly between his two front legs. In his own way, he was not disappointing Root since he had no opportunity to decline the offer. Besides, their mother had probably no illusions about her youngest son. Besides, he knew in advance the results.

She was interrupted in her analysis by Toad's deep voice: "You all have a defect that prevents you from entering the army. Viper you are not careful enough in your actions, you venture too often alone and you do not have the team spirit according to our reports. As for you, Reed, you simply don't have the right build and you are seriously lacking in field skills. Finally Bull, despite your role as a big wing, you relied too much on Popler to know how to act. You don't have the commander's mindset necessary."