Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

♫ COOL GIRL - EMMY

My anger fuels me all the way back across town. Nostrils flaring, legs pumping wildly, a row of houses pass by me in a blur. I only see in front of me—focused intensely on the target ahead: Tina Parker's blue suburban.

Pulling up the drive, I shove my bike down in a huff onto the manicured lawn before stomping up the front steps.

But then, I suck in a deep breath, smoothing down my oversized junk t-shirt, I press my thumb against the white button near the door. It sends a shrill chime ringing inside.

Running some fingers through my short bob, I brush out the tangles as I wait for an answer. And then, the wooden door swings open as a short stubby woman resembling Tina Parker steps out.

"Can I help you?" she asks with a wrinkled face.

"Uh—yes," I reply with a forced smile. "Is Tina home?"

A smile widens on her face. "You're a friend from school?" I nod. "Oh, wonderful. Please, come in!"

The small woman tugs me inside, a pungent smell filling my nose as I step onto soft brown carpet. The strong scent brings a few tears springing to my eyes.

"Tina!" she sings down the hall. "A friend is here. For you!"

Her joy puts a sour taste in my mouth. She's kind of ruining my moment of vengeance by being so sweet.

Tina's stringy head of hair pokes out through a doorway. "Molly?" she calls out in confusion before stepping into the hall. "What are you doing here?"

With my best smile, I muster the words, "Oh, I just came to see you. My good friend, Tina Parker."

The girl stares back at me in confusion, just as something furry brushes against my bare ankles; a fluffy calico cat stares up at me and I suddenly place the culprit for the smell—cat piss.

Tina's mother beams at me and then begins to scurry away towards the colorful wallpapered kitchen. "I'll bring you girls some snacks!"

Wrinkling her bulbous nose, Tina ushers me over with a wave of her hand. "Well, you can come hangout in my room."

Following her, I step into the small bedroom. One corner is piled high with colorful plushies, K-pop posters litter every surface of wall, and her desk is piled with empty soda cans.

"Uh—I wasn't expecting anyone to ever come in here," she mumbles, clearing a spot for us to sit onto her polka dotted bedding. "What do you want, Molly?"

Taking a seat, I brush away some crumbs next to me, looks like cheese dust.

With a forced smile, I shake my head. "I don't want anything, Tina. Just came to hangout with you. You know, my friends are limited these days, after everything."

At those words, I eye her suspiciously. But the girl only shrugs before revealing a mouth full of silver braces. "Oh, well, thanks for coming by. I'd love to hangout," she replies.

Slowly, I nod my head.

"That's a bummer about your suspension," she says to me. "Things have been pretty quiet since you left Wilcrest."

"Oh, yeah?" I ask smugly. "Haven't heard any new gossip?"

Tina shrugs before shaking her head. "Not Really."

"Nothing new about Jack?" I persist, careful to keep my voice neutral.

Again, she only shakes her head. "Nope—my sources have grown cold."

A smirk dances across my lips as I lean back onto my elbows on her small twin bed, more crumbs crunching under my weight. "You know, it's pretty crazy how you just have all these sources to feed you info. I don't know how you do it."