One

Callie Lawrence

"Are you sure it's a good idea to go over there?"

I pull my eyes away from the device in my hands, glancing at my best friend exiting her bedroom in only her panties. I take her in before my brain reminds me that she asked a question. I let out a breath, knowing exactly what she was referring to. I'd been talking about it all week. "Why wouldn't it be?" I question, shrugging my shoulders.

The raven-haired woman eyes me as she uses her black and white checkered towel to dry her wet tresses. "I mean... it's been what— 20 years since you last saw them," she mutters stepping into the kitchen with me.

Rolling my eyes, I set my phone on the counter. "16 years and you know I had no control over that decision. But I'm an adult now and I would like to see them again," I mutter, feeling nothing but guilt and regret for what happened so many years ago.

Melani raises her brows and glances away, not bothering to reply as she opens the fridge. Sighing, I keep my eyes on her, wondering if it was a bad idea. Biting my cheek, I let out a breath.

"I'm not saying it's a bad idea, Callie. I just hope you're not expecting to jump right back in like nothing ever happened. Logan is 20 now and if we're being honest, she's more than likely not going to take your sudden reentry into her life lightly. You were supposed to be her mother and you left."

I can't help but clench my jaw, knowing she was right. "But," she trails, turning back to me with a bottle of water in her hand. Her brown eyes land on me softly. "I encourage you to go. Otherwise, you'll just add another regret to the list."

Smiling, I nod my head in agreement. I had enough things to regret in my life. I didn't want to add another one either. I'm too old to have regrets and feel guilty about the decisions I made when I was younger.

Clearing my throat, I grab my phone from the counter. "Well, I'm gonna be heading to San Diego," I inform, making my way to the couch to retrieve my purse. "Do you need anything before I go? I don't know how long I'll be gone," I mutter.

The Hispanic woman hums before speaking up. "No. I probably won't be home either."

I shake my head, not at all surprised. When is she ever home for more than an hour? It's become routine for her to be gone most days. Letting out a small chuckle, I grab my keys from the purse.

"Alright then, if you do bring someone home please keep it in your bedroom. I don't want to have another incident like last time," I mutter, vividly remembering her between the legs of some blonde on the kitchen counter.

I watch the woman laugh as she nods her head. We share a few more words before I take my leave. Inhaling and exhaling, I can't help but feel nervous about my decision today.

How does someone even walk back into the life of someone they left behind? Even if I was forced to leave, the matter remains that I did. And I never gave an explanation, never called or texted. But then again my parents would've made my life a living hell if I didn't.

Letting out a breath, I step into the elevator and quickly press the button for the parking garage. I grab my phone from my purse and check the time, calculating how long I had until I would get there. I can't help but let out another breath, anticipating the day.

What if I get there and no one wants to let me in? What if Phoebe and Evan tell me off? What if Jamie hates me?

The sound of the elevator dinging, pulled me from my thoughts as the doors opened on the 4th floor, allowing another woman to step into the enclosed space with me. We share a small smile, having seen each other before as she glances at the buttons, noticing I have already pressed the one she needed.