Two

Callie

By the time dinner came around, I still had yet to see Logan since I was re-introduced into her life. I wasn't entirely surprised that she was avoiding me, but I had at least expected her to eat. I didn't want her to feel as though she couldn't do her normal routine just because I was here. And once again, I felt like an invader.

Once dinner was over, Aunt Phoebe and Uncle Evan were kind enough to let me stay in the guest bedroom instead of letting me get a hotel room tonight, which I was thankful for. They showed me where everything was before making their way to their bedroom, leaving me feeling like a shitty person.

Silence settled in the home, the only sound I could hear was my fingers typing on my keyboard. Letting out a breath, I stop typing for a few seconds as I crack my knuckles and pop my neck.

The sound of knocking on the bedroom door startled me. I inhale and exhale before placing my laptop in the space beside me and climbing from under the duvet. My bare foot touches the smooth carpet as I tiptoe to the door.

I open the door, surprised to find bluish-green eyes staring back at me. My brows raised as I stared at Jamie in confusion, wondering why he was bothering me at 2 in the morning. He purses his lips and clears his throat as his brows knit together.

Sighing, I step aside and open the door wider for him to step through. He does. I close the door and glance at the man, taking in his nightwear consisting of a loose white t-shirt and baggy boxers. I smile softly, he hasn't changed much.

"What do you need?" I question, wanting to get this interaction over with as soon as possible. It was awkward to be in the same room with him alone. We hadn't spoken in over 16 years and the last conversation we had... I was breaking up with him without a valid reason for my actions.

He sighs, turning toward me. "I want to talk. Last time we spoke... you left me brokenhearted and confused. I at least deserve an explanation, Callie," he mutters softly.

Clenching my jaw, I kept my gaze on him, knowing he was right. He does deserve an explanation. But at 2 in the morning? I let out a breath, "I know. And I will explain myself but Jamie, it's late..." I mutter, closing my eyes as I lean a little to the left.

"Yeah... 16 years late," he spits forcing me to glance at him. I frown, knowing he won't leave me alone until I tell him something—anything. Groaning in annoyance, I make my way to the bed, sitting where I was before he disrupted me. Glancing at him, I pat the space in front of me, wanting to get this over with.

He eyes me before sitting down. I allow silence to settle around us for a few long seconds before speaking up. "I'm sorry for the way I left things... with you and with Logan," I begin, feeling a strong sense of guilt as I relive the days leading up to my absence in their lives.

"Why did you break up with me? Why did you leave? Why did you stay away from us for so long? I thought you wanted that life with me. At least... that's what I thought before you left without a trace," he spat, unable to keep everything down.

I swallow the lump in my throat as I lean back against the headboard, letting his words sink in before answering them. I answer them all in order and slowly so that he can understand it wasn't my choice to leave him or her.

"I— my parents weren't happy with our relationship. And though I was of legal age, they made most of my decisions. I depended on them... so I couldn't disobey them. Whatever they said... I did," I mutter before imitating my parents' words.

"Carmella... break up with that boy, he's no good for you. So I did. Carmella... that's not your child you shouldn't be responsible for her. You're not ready to be a parent. So I left," I whisper, disappointed with my younger self for obeying them.