Louise Flyer: The Price of Pride - Part 1

0

She sniffled, sobbed and tears streamed down her childlike face as she tried unsuccessfully to move away, as there was a tree behind her preventing her from going back. She was completely cornered. For some reason, she felt she should distance herself as much as possible, even if it was an almost insignificant act. Perhaps this was a natural reaction of a body fighting to stay alive, for as long as possible, above any rational logic.

"N-No! Go away! G-G-GET AWAY!"

Her fate would end there.

1

The smell of old books hung in the air, as if possessing the place. This smell had become familiar to the girl who was there. She elegantly closed the book, the sound of the pages echoing through the room. A warm sigh escaped her delicate lips as she looked at the book she had just read.

Around her were several shelves with countless titles. She sat in a wooden chair, in the deepest part of the library. Her name was Louise Flyer, and she was the only daughter of her parents, who were responsible for this majestic library in the Northern City of the Kingdom of Forthen. Her long hair had a reddish hue that, in a way, resembled fire, and her eyes sparkled like the blue sea on a sunny day. She wore elegant clothes - a majestic crimson dress with puffy sleeves and expensive fabrics covered her childlike skin - even for this daily reading session.

Closing her eyes and with a smile that few saw, she said:

"Indeed, nothing beats a good romance."

She was alone in the library. She knew the reason. It was an unconventional time for most people. But for Louise, it was the best time to read.

"Hm..."

She stretched her arms lazily. Another gesture that few ... or rather, no one could see. She did it precisely because she was alone. At that time, adults worked and children would be in school. But for her, it was not a problem. She studied what she wanted, every day, wherever she was.

"I think I'll take a walk."

Getting up from her chair, she walked slowly towards the large wooden door that served as the exit of that room filled only with novels. Although this was the only literary category in the environment, it was still enormous. There were little more than 10,000 fiction books there alone. In the entire library, there were more than 100,000 books of various genres, and around 70,000 copies of documents. She knew this because her parents were always proud to manage the largest library in Forthen.

In general, there were 4 cities and a capital. They were named: Northern City, Southern City, Eastern City, Western City, and Central Capital. Each had its distinct characteristics.

"Ow..."

Leaving the dimly lit room, she felt a pain in her eyes when she faced the brightness of the outside world. In a failed attempt to shield her eyes from the assaulting light with her hands, she walked down the hall squinting. She preferred not to leave, but she could reflect better on what she read while walking.

The sound of her footsteps echoed slowly and elegantly on the floor. But she realized that, unlike where she was before, it was cold. A brief blast of cold wind made her shiver. She would take advantage of the fact that she could still go out without worrying too much about it and go to her usual place, a little further away.

"Winter is coming..."

In winter, people usually traveled to the hot springs in the Eastern City. It would be an excellent time to be alone in that huge library.