Louise Flyer: The Price of Pride - Part 7

She was already entering the forest. The birds' songs echoed through the air like the wind that covered it. It wasn't cold enough to bother her, so she would read in her usual spot. The red of the trees brought some relief to her tired eyes. It had really been a complicated day. She woke up earlier than she would have liked, stumbled on her first steps, and soon wasted her precious time on something she already knew was useless. And, on top of everything, had to talk to boring people... of course, the handsome young man was an exception.

But, one way or another, she was already in the place where she wanted to be. She was already in the place where she would finally feel free. There was no doubt that this was really her favorite place in the world.

"Ah..." she sighed with a smile she couldn't remember when she last made a similar one.

Seeing the calmness before her was something relaxing. Animals played around, squirrels stored their nuts for winter, and the birds were already singing and flying happily. Louise knew that this would possibly be the last day she could come here peacefully, so she wanted to make the most of it.

But it was then...

"Kyaaaa!"

A scream echoed through the forest and even the birds flew away scared.

"...!"

Immediately she felt something like a shock in her chest. Instinctively, her brain alerted her to something, and soon, before even thinking - quite unusual for that girl - she ran towards where the sharp sound came from. It was certainly a female scream, no doubt about it, so she knew that something was definitely not right. Where she was, it was a place near the barrier that protected them from thirsty magical beasts, so that was an alert that something had happened.

Louise never had a sense of heroism. In fact, even if she did, she would deny it with all her might. But this was different. It was something beyond reason. Upon hearing a scream, her body simply moved to help whoever it was.

But for some reason, she felt strange. It was as if her mind had suddenly become opaque. Why was she like this?

"Louise!"

"Hm?"

As she approached where she heard the voice, she found an unwanted person again. There he was, Finn, almost at the edge of the semi-invisible barrier, desperate. His face was sweating and that expression was one of terror. It would be comical if the scream she heard had come from him, but it wasn't the case, Louise was sure that the scream came from a girl, she felt it as if it were an absolute certainty.

Approaching him, Louise was the first to speak:

"I heard a scream, so I came to see what it was. Don't tell me it was yours." She was joking, because she knew that wasn't the case.

"Of course not," he said, voice trembling slightly.

"Then whose was it?" she asked, pressing for an answer.

"..."

"Hm?"

"It was Sophie and her sister... I think I saw them crossing the barrier,"

"What?!" she immediately became angry. This was completely irrational. Going to a place where monsters would not hesitate to kill anyone was like committing suicide. Even soldiers from Forthen had trouble defeating them. So why would they go there? It was madness. Just the thought of someone crossing the barrier was insane. When did she start thinking like this? She usually didn't care about things like this. Everyone took care of their own problems, right? Why suddenly care now? It was strange. It wasn't a hidden feeling. It was as if something was...

"W-what should we do?" Finn interrupted her thoughts.

"..."

Seeing him like that, she felt that same feeling in her chest - the same sensation as before. She couldn't explain what it was, but she knew what decision she had to make. For some reason, her brain wouldn't let her think of anything else. Someone was in danger, and that was not her problem... right? No. Those teary eyes confirmed what she needed to do. They were children, probably with bright futures. They didn't know right from wrong yet, it wasn't their fault. She couldn't let them die. All parts of her body were telling her that. That's why... just because of that...

But why did she feel this way only now? Why was she so worried? That wasn't like her. Why couldn't she think of anything else? Why couldn't she move as she wanted? Why? Why? Why?! Something was wrong. Something was definitely wrong!

However... she felt that this was the right thing to do, the only choice she had to make.

"I... I'll go get them," she said.

"No! I can't let you go too! I can't!" Finn shouted.

"Then what do you plan to do?!"

"Let's... let's call the guards!"

"Do you know where we are? Even if we run without stopping, it would take at least fifteen minutes to get there. And we would have to convince them, and they would take another fifteen minutes to come back. It simply wouldn't be enough time. I need to act now."

"But... you..."

"Don't worry, this won't be a problem for me."

"..."

He didn't seem any less worried, but at least he was a little relieved. That was enough. Those expressions on his face were too complex for Louise to understand. She didn't know what Finn was feeling at that moment. But suddenly, he seemed determined.

"Please... come back soon," he pleaded.

"I will, and I'll be with them."

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT, she thought. WHY AM I DOING THIS?! I WANT TO GO BACK! I DON'T WANT TO RISK MYSELF FOR PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW! WHY WON'T MY BODY MOVE AS I COMMAND?!

"Oh, right. Take this," Louise said, handing something to Finn.

"Huh?"

"I came here to read this book, but it's better if you hold onto it until I come back, okay?"

"...Okay. But..."

"See you later!" Louise said as she ran off, crossing the barrier.

If they were there, there wouldn't be much time. If Magical Beasts appeared, they wouldn't stand a chance. Louise had never battled before, but if necessary, "NO! NO! NO!" she would act as she should. They were in danger, she would search for them and bring them back to the barrier. Something in her heart told her that this was the right thing to do.

THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT!!!