Louise Flyer: The Price of Pride - Part 8

"He" was alone now. Around him, trees rustled in the strong wind that hit him. Looking at the girl with red hair running quickly, "he" smiled. A wicked smile was exposed on the face of that child... Actually, she wasn't really a child.

"Everything is going according to plan. It seems that creating emotional illusions in children is easier than usual. Louise Flyer, I hope you don't mind not being able to control what you do... or what you see." And then, a voice that didn't match the body came out of her thin mouth. It was the voice of a woman.

"I'm not proud of it, but this will be a necessary price to pay for a better future," she was convinced of this.

For her, the ends would justify the means. She knew she was doing something horrible, but she also knew that in the future, she would do something much worse, so this was the least of her problems. The price to pay for a vivid future would be the death of everyone. Although she was going to become the true villain of this story, she didn't care. She didn't care how the world would see her because they would be grateful in a distant future... that's what she thought.

And then, seeing the figure of the girl gradually disappear into the forest, she stared at the book she was holding.

She had already read that book. It was even ironic to be holding it now. A book where four friends ventured through Forthen in search of who had killed the people they loved... But, they didn't expect that the one who killed their loved ones was among themselves. It had an ending that she didn't remember very well, but she knew that when she finished reading it, she was in doubt if that was a good or bad ending.

Sighing lightly to let go of futile thoughts, she looked at her blue eyes with a sad look.

"So... this is where the real story begins..."

As if hearing what she said, a strong gust of wind carried her words away. In the place where there should have been a young and healthy boy, there was now an adult woman with long black hair and eyes as dark as the abyss itself. And then, she began to walk the same path as that girl.

It was at this moment, at this exact point in time, where the first piece for a long game of chess with God would be played. She was prepared. Elaine was ready to play this fateful game, created only for the amusement of a selfish celestial being.