Behind enemy lines

A quiet, early morning over at sector 2 forward base. Most people were still asleep, save for a couple sentries that went about the perimeter in case some rouge robot activity suddenly kicks in. Leilan was awake, passing the morning in her room with a cup of mild coffee in hand, gazing outside through the window and enjoying the moment of peace.

 Leilan was awake, passing the morning in her room with a cup of mild coffee in hand, gazing outside through the window and enjoying the moment of peace

When coffee was finished, she washed the cup in the bathroom sink and put it away. Her maid-like attire wasn't just for show - Leilan much appreciated order and neatness. This was evident by taking a glimpse at her room. Document stacks were uniform, books ordered by the alphabet and not a single speck or smudge of any kind on any surface. At home she is a delicate being and you wouldn't even think that someone like her would be an expert at ruthless fighting. But it was all part of her deceptive character.

The phoxylite picked up the earpiece, her polearm and headed out towards the main operations area. Going past the guard, she entered and looked around at the various screens.

"I need a heatmap feed for the area around the bus station, please." She asked one of the surveillance personnel.

"Uh... ma-am, such information will be relayed to you via commander Hawkins if and when necessary."

Leilan then pulled out the slip of paper from yesterday that had Hawkins' signature and permission on it, giving her access to surveillance data.

"O-oh. Right." The individual replied upon seeing the slip. "Data feed will be connected to your issued mobile device within the next 5 minutes."

"Thank you."

It was essential for someone heading into hostile territories to keep an eye on a Phoxyl-3 heatmap - a map that shows concentrations of the substance around the area which allows one to figure out a route and what places to avoid. Such intelligence is valuable, thus it's only shared with authorized personnel. If AI machines got hold of this data, they could hack it, making it show false information and lure people into traps.

Not wanting to waste any time, Leilan left the room immediately after her request was acknowledged, almost bumping into Hawkins who was on his way to oversee surveillance.

"Morning, commander." Leilan greeted with a playful smirk.

"Morning. Heading out already?"

"Duty calls."

"Right. Take care out there. Don't be reckless."

"Warms my heart hearing someone cares about my wellbeing."

"If anything happens to you, I'll have a ton of paperwork on my desk tomorrow that I'm really not keen on going through."

"Hu hu. I promise to help you with those."

Commander let out a sigh and entered the operations room. Silver haired phoxylite gave the commander a smile and swiftly left base premises towards the bus station.