Chapter 10- Ignis Lepus

Usagi could only make out a burst of purple and blue glows surrounding him as he entered the portal. He could feel Leonardo beside him, taking his hand and leading him to who knows where.

"Hey, we're here!" He heard Leo call out, his voice clearer now that they had left the restaurant.

He didn't even realize he was still gripping on to Leo until he opened his eyes. The portal behind them vanished, and they were taken to some strange land unlike the Hidden City. The above city was enormous and colorful with buildings that were so tall, the tips were touching the orange and red skies. Unlike the Hidden City, there didn't seem to be any visible stars, just a strange mist of clouds. However there was still plenty of artificial light.

He found himself drawing closer to Leonardo. "Where is ...here?"

"New York City. My home! Cool, isn't it?"

"It's very bright." Usagi murmured, awkwardly retracted his hand away.

"Heh, yeah."

The brightness he could handle. The noise however was too much. His ears pinned back and he winced, trying to cover them with his paws. "And loud."

"Oh shoot, I forgot you have sensitive ears," Leo's eyes went wide, embarrassed. "We can go back if you want."

He shook his head. "No, I am fine." He pulled away and sniffed the air, pink nose twitching. His own curiosity overtook him, and he started to move towards the streets.

"Wait up!" Leo said, jogging behind him with a chuckle. "Stay close to me, alright? It's easy to get lost."

"I will." They seemed to blend in with some of the strange mascots wandering around. One of them- a Sailor Moon cosplayer, stopped and stared at Usagi. "Sick cosplay, dude!"

Although she had already walked by, Usagi's instinct was to grab his sword and point at the teenager. "Don't you dare insult me and run away! Fight me, you coward!"

"Sagi, no." Leo pulled him aside before he could slice off her head. "She was complimenting you."

Usagi glared at him. "She said I looked sick."

"Yeah, so, over here 'sick' has a double meaning. It can mean you're literally sick, and

it can also mean you look awesome."

Usagi blinked.

"Trust me when I say she meant it as a compliment."

"So...if I were to use it in a conversation...I would say, you look sick, Leonardo?" His tone was flat and awkward, but he said it with pure sincerity.

His cheeks reddened. "I- I mean...sure?" He forced out a cough and continued walking.

"Why did you bring me here, Leonardo?"

Leo paused. He really didn't want to admit he wanted to get away from his annoying siblings. Sure they would eventually be back, but as long as he and Usagi stayed away from the lair, they would be fine.

"Oh, I um...I wanted to get us away from my siblings. They're really embarrassing, and I wanted to talk to you. And when they showed up, I panicked. But only a little."

They turned a corner into a more secluded street. Not that any place in New York was exactly private.

"And we won't cause suspicion in our current attire?" Usagi asked. "We look different from everyone else."

"Nerp, because like you saw those human cosplayers, they're all headed to a convention. We blend right in!"

"If you say so..." He paused and glanced behind him at a cluster of billboards and shimmering lights. "What is that?"