Laws and Customs

Now that you understand the basics of each pack, let's talk about the pack laws. The first thing you must know is that there are two law systems. There are pack laws, and Laws of the Packs. Pack laws are lesser and only certain packs follow them. They are less strictly enforced, but still enforced. Laws of the Packs are pack-wide rules that all most obey. Laws of the Packs are similar to our federal laws. They hold more impact and are strictly regulated. If there is a pack law that all packs practice, it means they all agree on it's use, not that they are bound to following it in the same was as a lotp.

PACK LAWS

Mateship before Leaders — in his later years, Founding Alpha Orpheus made a law that if two wolves wish to become mates, they must ask permission from their current alpha, and hold a brief ceremony before the pack.
(Recognized by: Fading Night + Maw Creek packs)
.
     2• Mateship Testing is performed on wolves who wish to become mates to ensure good breeding and quality of offspring produced. For she-wolves the testing is scored based off of their ability to nurture, teach, and make wise decisions. The he-wolves are judged on their ability to fight, demand respect, and leadership skills. Both are tested on basic skills such as hunting and tracking, as well as their genetic purity. This is determined based off of both wolves parents and their grandparents. Because of this, wolves who have unknown parents on both sides are not allowed to breed or take mates. If only one side of the family is known, then the alpha pair may choose to allow the mateship. If a she-wolf becomes pregnant and does not disclose the father to the alphas then she will be forced to leave the pack or to abandon her children upon birth. If she does disclose the father's name to the alpha pair and they allow the breeding to continue, then the she-wolf may raise her child alone. She does not have to tell anyone else who her mate was, and can demand confidentiality on who it is with the alphas, but cannot continue to see them if they are outside of the pack or aren't genetically viable.
(Recognized by: Maw Creek pack)
.
     3•

Alpha chooses Alpha — Founding Alpha Atakan made a law that when a new alpha male arises within a pack, if he does not already have a mate or is not betrothed, he can choose any she-wolf he wants among the pack, so long as they are at least a yearling or no less than half his age. The female has no option but to say yes, and if she declines she will be exiled from the pack.
(Recognized by: BloodPelt pack)

Heiresses Betrothed — If an alpha only has daughters once he is of age to retire, the daughter's mate will be chosen by the father himself, or if he dies when his pup is young, she will be betrothed to another pup chosen by the mother. The pup can decline to take said betrothed, but if she chooses to do so she will be forced to denounce her rank. Then the male that the father or mother chose will take over and his blood will become the new alpha line.
(Recognized by: All Packs)

Forbidden Mateship — 1• Wolves with the ranks of Guardians or Omegas are not allowed to take mates. For Guardians is has to do with their duty to defend their assigned post or wolf without the temptation of instead defending their mate or offspring. For Omegas it is due to the fact that most omegas were placed in that rank because they failed many times to pass their training and have been deemed to possess unwanted qualities or poor abilities (which packs don't wish to pass on)
(Recognized by: All Packs)
.
2• Wolves outside the packs (Loner-Wolves) are not permitted to breed or court with pack wolves, as it is considered dishonorable and dirty. This also is because most packs highly value their 'pack bloodlines', and wouldn't dare to introduce a Loner's into the mix.
(Recognized by: BloodPelt + Maw Creek packs)
.
3• No wolf aside from the Alpha Pair or their direct relatives shall breed within the pack. This means only alphas, former alphas, children of alphas, and so forth can breed. However, the breeding MUST be consensual between both parties. Alpha borne wolves MAY NOT interbreed.
(Recognized by: BloodPelt pack)

Outlawed Entry— Refers to the outlawed entry of the man-territory. Wolves are forbidden from leaving their territory and entering man-territory because man have been known to kill or enslave wolves. The only wolves allowed to go near these places are Loners, as they live outside of the pack laws. Otherwise, it is out of bounds.
(Recognized by: All Packs)

Overruling Power — 1• If both Alphas are dead, missing (for more than seven days), or refuse to be present in the pack, the High Beta has a right to 'overrule' or 'take over' as Alpha. In the case of deceased Alphas, the High Beta must simply make an adressment to the pack for his claim as the new Alpha to be viable. If the former Alphas have pups when they die, the High Beta can choose to only take over until the pups are old enough to become Alphas, or to take away their birthrights and make them into ordinary pack members.
.
2• If they allow the pups to take over later on, and there are only females, and they do not already have a chosen mate, the High Beta will be allowed to decide who they want the new Alpha Male to be. They can choose themselves, or any other eligible male within the pack.
.
3• In the case of missing Alphas, the High Beta can only take their place until they return. If they do not return for more than two week's time, then they will take over as Alpha in full effect, and get to decide the former Alphas' pup's fate.
.
4• If the current Alphas are neglecting their duties, than a High Beta may challenge the Alpha to a sparring match. The winner will be chosen by death, or if someone opts out. The new Alpha Male will decide if he wants to keep the former Alpha's mate and pups as his own, or dismiss them from their roles.