◜chapter twelve◞

"immune?" Ellie turned to Cassie once Marlene left the pair alone

"do we believe that shit?" Cassie asked, pacing along the wooden floor in front of the girl "i mean, immune? how the fuck did that happen. It could be utter bullshit, they could take us away from the safety of the QZ and leave us to die Els"

"can always count on you to be dramatic" Ellie laughed at the girl, grabbing her hand as she walked past and pulling her down onto the floor. Cassie fell over with a heave and shuffled so she was beside the girl "i think we believe them right? why would they lie"

"i guess we dont have much choice" Cassie shrugged but their conversation was cut short by commotion outside the room. The two girls where quick to jump up, Ellie holding her knife out in front of her while cassie scrambled to get hers from her bag. The commotion lasted a while, neither moving in fear of becoming the next target of whatever or whoever was out there. Only when it went quite did Ellie make her move, jumping out at the male that snuck past the door only to get slammed into the wall.

"fuck" Ellie cursed, Cassie rushed out to the unsuspecting man. jumping on his back and placing the blade of her knife up against his neck, her other arm holding at his forehead while her thighs held her in place.

"Joel?" Marlene's statement made Cassie freeze, the man being able to throw her to the wall as well, her knife still clutched in her hand. Cassie falling into Ellie's side, his gun trained on the two girls

"Marlene?" Joel asked, her and the other lady's guns both trained on him. Cassie's face lit up slightly as she caught eye of the woman he was with.

"you okay?" Marlene questioned the two young girls who both muttered a yeah in response, Ellie reaching for her knife while Joel placed his foot on it stopping the girl from grabbing it. Cassie had closed her knife, no harm could come to her when Tess was around. She was sure the woman was her guardian angel "Ellie" Marlene called the girls name who was very clearly on guard around these new people

"oh shit" Ellie cursed, seeing Marlene's wound. Cassie's eyes never left Joel, her eyes squinted at the man who was pointing the gun at the two. She wasnt worried that he would shoot them but something told her to keep an eye on him

"no its okay, ill be alright and you cant be stupid like this. either of you" Marlene warned the pair

"so this is who Robert screwed us over with" Tess asked, making her presence known to the others "the Che Guevara of Boston? i mean, war must be going pretty shitty for you to be buying off scumbags like him"

"yeah it kinda has been" Marlene quipped back "the merch was bad and he obviously didn't take fuck off for an answer"

"gimme my knife" Ellie tells Joel, Cassie glaring up at the man who kept his foot on the weapon. If he wasnt more focussed on Marlene and not the two girls, Ellie was sure than man would shit himself at the look on her face.

"what do you need a car battery for" The man asked Marlene, Ellie then lunged for her knife making Joel turn to point his gun at her "dont"

"Not at her" Marlene and this other woman pointed their guns at him. If Cassie was more willing to give up her life in a flash, she swore she would have launched for that gun right that second and aimed it straight back at him. Tess then pointed her gun back at the fireflies while Ellie held her hands up in surrender, Cassie's eyes where trained on the gun. If it so much as flinched, Cassie would jump for it "point it at me"

Cassie grabbed Ellie's hand when Joel moved the gun from them, placing their intertwined fingers in her lap.

"and to answer your question, i need it for a better reason than you do" Marlene added "no offense but Tommy's just one man... its our business to know things"

"to know things?" Joel repeated, the two girls sat listening to their back and forth argument. Totally confused on what was happening "your the cause of it. you turned my own brother against me"

"okay Joel" Marlene scoffed as the other girl whispered something about FEDRA being on the way "i know" the woman then silently agreed with herself to tell the man her plan "we were gonna move Ellie and Cassie outta the zone tonight but we wont make it anywhere like this. not for a while anyway so now im thinking, your gonna do it"

"the hell we are" Joel commented at the same time Ellie let out a "im not going with them"

"i dont care what we do but please make the decision quick because FEDRA will probably kill us all if we dont fucking move" Cassie groaned

"let me take them" The other firefly commented

"Tess, we dont have time for this" Joel looked back at his partner

"oh you dont have time?" Marlene scoffed

"who is she?" Tess signalled to Ellie

"to you? they're both cargo"

"we dont smuggle people, Sorry." Joel told the woman

"i can do it" the firefly told Marlene

"Kim you dont have a fucking ear on your fucking head. Could you please" Marlene shouted at the woman

"five minutes and FEDRA storms this place" Cassie estimates, her conclusion being drowned out by the arguing adults

"there's a team of fireflies waiting for them at the old state house" Marlene told the partners "i know what's out there, we were going with an entire squadron for that very reason but now i dont have a truck, i dont have a squadron. FEDRA's five minutes away" Marlene signalled to Cassie who nodded "what i do have is you and i know what your both capable of. for better or worse"

"what are they capable of?" Ellie asked, slightly dumbfounded by the stack of information the two teens had just gathered from the arguing

"i dont think you want to know" Cassie muttered towards her best friend, the girl seeing first hand what they where capable of

"you get them there safely, they'll give you what you need. Not just a battery, the whole thing. Fuelled up truck, guns, supplies. all of it. I swear"

Joel and Tess shared a look before deciding they needed to talk about it, kicking the knife out of Ellies reach when the girl went to grab it as his boot left the weapon.

"asshole"

wowee you do not understand how many days this took me to write

wowee you do not understand how many days this took me to write. Ive been so unmotivated holy shit