Chapter 10: Meeting the Mother... And Then Some

Leonard and Talia walked hand in hand cautiously into the backyard, bracing themselves for the sudden onslaught of greetings, introductions, and as Leonard assured Tali, hugs. As the couple rounded the corner, they were met with a large scream of 'Surprise' from the massive group of people. Leonard's smile was very obviously forced, but Ana did her best to make hers look as genuine as possible, not wanting to offend people she'd yet to even meet. The first to approach was a short, older woman who based on the tears in her eyes, Talia could only assume was Leonard's mother. Leonard gently released Tali's hand as he stepped forward to meet the woman halfway, a real smile growing on his face as the woman pulled him done into a bone crushing hug indeed. 

"Hi mama." 

"Oh, my darling boy! I'm so happy you're home." It was a beautifully sentimental moment that everyone looked onto in awe, but quickly changed gears as the woman pulled away slightly to give Leonard a light slap upside the head. Everyone looked very suddenly shocked by the action, clearly not expecting it just as much as Talia.

"How dare you go over three years without seeing your poor old mother. I raised you to have better manners than that." 

"I know, mama. I'm sorry." Leonard seemed to lower his voice before he spoke the next part. "You know it's difficult for me to come back to this." 

"Yes, I know Lenny. I know, I'm sorry." Leonard scanned the crowd quickly, searching for one special face in particular. His mother looked down in irritation, knowing exactly who he was looking for. 

"She's not here. That cheating bitch refused to bring her." Leonard let out a disappointed sigh. He had expected this kind of behavior from his ex, but it didn't make it hurt any less when she proved just how cruel she could be. But Leonard tried his best to push past this. His mother was just as important as Jo, and he was happy that at least she could be there for him and Tali. 

"It's okay, mama. I'll try to convince her while we are here. But right now, there is someone I would like you to meet." Leonard moved to the side to reveal Talia behind him, the young woman feeling more nervous than ever now that everyone's eyes were on her. No backing out now. 

"Mama, this is my girlfriend, Anatalia. Tali, this is my mother, Martha." The tears that filled Martha's eyes caused Talia's eyes to begin watering slightly as well. Though neither had spoken a word to each other yet, they already felt a connection between them, and both women rushed to pull the other into a warm and inviting hug. 

"I'm so happy to meet you, Anatalia. You're even more beautiful than my Lenny described." 

"Thank you, Martha. I'm so pleased to meet you as well. I've been looking forward to this for weeks." Noticing that the two women might be in one another's embrace for a while, everyone else in attendance seemed to slowly begin mingling amongst themselves once more, and Leonard in turn began making his rounds in greeting family and friends he hadn't seen in years. When Ana and Martha finally did pull apart, the two remained close in their own little bubble, moving to sit on a couch under the patio where they could speak more privately for a moment. 

"Oh, I've heard so much about you, sweet pea. I'm so happy you and Leonard decided to visit for your leave." 

"I was honored to be invited. I know this is a big deal for Leonard. I didn't want him to feel pressured to bring me necessarily." Martha placed a gentle hand to Talia's knee and the younger woman instantly felt calm and warm again. The joyous energy that Martha so naturally gave off was intoxicating. Ana already felt as if she never wanted to leave the older woman's side, ever. 

"Well, the way I see it darling, you are an absolute miracle. When Leonard left his home here to join Starfleet, he was an absolute mess. The worst I've ever seen my poor boy. That ex of his did quite a number on him, and keeping Jo away from him certainly didn't help things either. He swore he'd never date or love again. Next thing I know, I'm getting phone calls about a girl he's met who's both terrifying and magnetizing all at once. A girl he thinks he might be falling in love with. A girl who has changed him as a person, all for the better. I couldn't be more thrilled that he decided to bring you to meet me."