Chapter 25: Making Compromises

The sound of Leonard's alarm going off caused Anatalia to groan in irritation. The incessant beeping stopped soon enough, but Anatalia was still frustrated at being woken so early at all. Leonard turned slowly and leaned up on his arm to place a kiss to Anatalia's cheek, wrapping his other arm around her waist as he did so. 

"Baby, we've got to get up. We've got a plane to catch." 

"Why did we have to get one that's so damn early?" 

"Cause Jim needs us back at HQ before end of day. I thought you were excited about going back to work." 

"That was before I knew how good a honeymoon could be." 

Leonard laughed lightly as he leaned down to place more kisses along Anatalia's body, starting at her cheek then moving down to her neck, shoulder, and side. Talia smiled wide at the feeling but turned her body towards Leonard to stop him from going any further down. 

"As much as I'd love to, you're the one who says we have a plane to catch." 

"I'll be quick. Just need to make it up to you for getting up so early." 

Before Talia could say anything more, Leonard slid himself down Ana's body to give her the proper wake up call to make up for the early hour. 

----- 

"There they are! And how is the happy couple?" 

"We'd be better if we were still on our honeymoon." 

"Hey, you two got three weeks, I'm not gonna feel sorry for cutting it short by a week." 

"Well Jim, it's nice to see that we won't be getting any special treatment." 

"Not on my watch, Bones. Now, I have some very exciting news for you both. It's about our next assignment." 

"When do we head out?" 

"Couple of weeks. The Enterprise is newly built and you two along with the other heads of departments will do your inventory and crew checks before we head out, but it's going to be a big one." 

"Come on Jim, spit it out. I can already tell I'm going to hate it." 

Anatalia couldn't help but laugh at the banter between Leonard and his best friend. The peace and quiet in Georgia the past two years has been nice, but she'd be lying if she said she didn't also miss the chaos that James T. Kirk brought into their lives every now and then. 

"Alright. We have been charged with being the first starship to go out on a five-year expedition through uncharted space." 

"Holy shit! Jim, are you serious?!" 

"I know right?!" 

"That's unbelievable!" 

"Five years in space? God help me." 

Both Talia and Jim looked over at Leonard with looks of only semi-mock disappointment. 

"Come on, Bones. This is a huge deal." 

"Jim, we don't exactly have the best track record in space. Now you want us to do five years?" 

"Leo. Jim's right. This is a huge honor. No starship has ever been capable of such a mission before, and we'd get to be the first." 

"I don't know, Tali. That last stint with Khan was too close. Especially to you." 

"Leonard, I appreciate that, but I'm fine. This is a whole new mission. And yes, I know that five years in infinite space is your worst nightmare, but I'll be there too. That's got to make it somewhat bearable, right?"