Chapter 1

Grayfellow stared off into the red-tinged distance. His eyes were blank, heavy blue.

"Do we declare war?"

Eldra looked up at him and glared, fidgeting.

"Of course, you idiot."

Grayfellow stared down. "But...he's my brother. I still...Nova's a good guy. I know it." Eldra sighed. "Yes, but Enderstar kicked out two of your friends and put one on a block. For weeks. And Nova...let's be honest, he was gone the second he started talking to the Wizards. You don't have a brother anymore, Gray. Not in any way that matters. Declare it now."

He shifted.

"But he's there still. He isn't evil. That's not Nova."

Eldra sighed.

"Look, Quia."

Grayfellow glared at her, fanged mouth gaping open unconsciously. She winced. He growled, a low, threatening sound, staticky and low.

"Don't you dare use that name."

She sighed. "Fine, Gray. But...please, just declare it. He needs to know that everyone's serious. That'll draw attention from helpful forces, too. So...just bite the bullet and say it. We're at war until otherwise stated." "You don't get it. He's family. Real, true family. And I can't just...do that, anyways. It involves trekking to the Overworld and going before the king. It would take weeks."

"So send someone else. Me, I'm good in the Overworld. Or Bat or Rarg, they're streetwise." A silence followed. He continued staring into the distance with that same glazed, sad look. She sighed. "You really just need to do it, Gray. Before anything gets worse. We had five attacks last week. If you could just declare it, everyone would come to help."

He continued staring.

Eventually, he swallowed thickly.

"I love my brother. I...I don't want to fight him."

Eldra closed her eyes and sighed.

"Sorry, Gray. But you have to. For Lavacrest."

He looked away and closed his eyes. "I'll draft the letter. There's a treasure hunter that visits here. I'll give him it and have him deliver it." Eldra nodded. "Draft two copies. Nov...Enderstar needs one, too."

With that, he got up and walked away.