Chapter 3

Eldra handed Grayfellow a healing potion.

"And you say Rarg did this?"

"Yeah."

"Uh...you're absolutely sure you didn't tumble into the lava, right?" "Positive." "Because this is a second-degree burn." "That's impressive." "Pigmen don't do that." "We live in interesting times. And it seems like the nether fortress monsters that leave usually tend to have some kind of special ability, so I'm not too surprised." "Yeah, but like...this is a big, big burn. Huge. Bat has some cutesy healing and disguise abilities, not straight-up burning ones."

Grayfellow shrugged. "In Rarg's defense, I don't think he intended to burn me quite this badly." "Did Rarg even know about this?" "I didn't ask him. I think so, though." Eldra shook her head. "We've all got strange abilities, but that one definitely takes the cake." "Definitely." "How are they doing here, by the way? I haven't seen either of them much."

"Eh, Bat's spent the past few days reconciling with his boyfriend. Rarg's just kind of hung around the well."

Eldra sighed. "I still don't get all the abilities."

"Why?"

"Just...you know. Type restrictions? Abilities in direct opposition to a race? I mean, Batwing. Take Batwing. He's a wither skeleton. You know what kind of abilities he gets?" Grayfellow shook his head. "Rekindle...and Cure Poison. A wither skeleton. With Cure Poison. And he's poisonous. I'm still trying to figure out how he isn't in a constant state of anaphylactic shock."

Grayfellow shrugged awkwardly. "To be fair, Batwing's not full wither skeleton." "But the abilities...Batwing's lucky he just has something useful. Once I met a guy who had a ability, a prophecy ability...that consisted of being able to materialize dark sunglasses."

"Surely there's more."

"...That's it."

He laughed.

"I've heard enough for today. I'm going to go visit Tufty and Meowz. Batwing and his boyfriend are washing them. See you at the town meeting?"

"...Did you just say they were washing cats?"

He was out in seconds.