run over

Temps Commission

I recall the name of the organization I'm now part of, watching a projected talking briefcase. This could either be a grave mistake or a catch, but it's an uncertainty I'm willing to test.

I travel my eyes around, having just enough.

Woosh

I blink out of the room, my body going from lounging to standing straight. As I fix the suit I've just changed into, my hands find their way to my black tie, reminding me of a specific immortal.

I haven't seen the idiot since we jumped in The Handler's time-travel briefcase. Could it be that something had happened?

I shake my head, snapping out of it-it has nothing to do with me. With that, I make my way out of the building with only one thing in mind: coffee.

--

Dingg!

The door's wind chime rings, waking the barista. "Ah, good day; what can I get for you?" he says, quickly regaining his composure. "coffee, black," I reply while walking ahead, not once glancing at the menu. "One black coffee, coming right up!"

I take a seat on a table just near the counter, resting my back on the cushion.

Dingg!

"AGhhhH-I hate my job." I widen my eyes upon hearing a familiar voice, quickly grabbing a nearby newspaper to 'read'. "That was fast-they're more capable than I thought." I sneak a peek, watching the barista prepare my coffee. Fucking hurry up. . .

"Capable? Just so you know, I surrendered myself!" Ruda scoffs, sitting on a stool by the counter backwards, facing my table.

"One black coffee~" Great, just great.

Silence

Wait, why am I even hiding from her?

"mister?" "Right, sorry, I heard you the first time." I stand up to sit a couple of stools away from her, flinging the newspaper in one hand and grabbing my coffee in the other.

"oh, hey, murderer," I coughed, just about to take a sip, which made the drink bubble. I carefully set my cup down, striking the little idiot with a death glare and mouthing the words: 'don't say that'.

"why? you shy?" she scoots over to the seat right next to me, prompting her head on the counter to enter my vision, smirking a little. "Are you all just brawn and no brains?" "Wait, you think I'm strong?" With half-lidded 'over it' eyes, I drink my coffee as I catch her staring at me with sparkly ones from the corner of my sight.

"You two know each other?" the barista butts in curiously, wiping the countertop. "ye," "no," we say in unison, making the guy chuckle.

"So which one is it?" "nah," "yes," This time our responses switched, making us look at each other in confusion. "Haha, you two work well together." "I'm going," I state, nearly cutting him off.

Ding!Dinggg!

"Don't follow me around." "Well, you said you knew me the second time, so let's stick to that." She stands a couple of inches away, leaning forward with a smile.

I pay no mind to this, crossing the street.

"OI! THE LIGHT'S RED!" she exclaims, running towards me to catch the hem of my blazer and get me out of the way.

"I know," was all I said, grabbing her by the arm and getting her off me, switching our positions in the process.

Blue light reflects from her eyes as I find myself on the other side of the road, staring at a speeding bus, then at her lying body.

Just right by her corpse stood the barista, staring me down from the other sidewalk.

I knew it, he also has one, I just had to bait it out.

Now let's see if it's what I think it is.

I let my clenched fists glow blue, on the verge of using my ability. "excuse me," I call out to a random, who looked my way but then brushed past me as if I wasn't there.

Woosh

"Hey, nice powers you got there." I blink right next to him, smirking as I've got him all figured out.

"DUDE!" Ruda flips around to lie on her back, glaring at me. "WHAT WAS THE NEED FOR THAT!?" "you're good," I reassure her, offering my hand to help her up.

She harshly grabs onto me to let herself up and quickly get on the sidewalk. "I'M GOOD? I JUST GOT RUN OVER BY A BUS, DICKHEAD." she whisper-shouts the last part, helping me come to a conclusion.

"Right now, no one can see us three, right?" I ask for confirmation, completely disregarding the girl throwing a tantrum right next to me. "that's right," "But they can still hear us?"

"Invisibility, that's what I have."