poisoned

Alma

I stare at his name tag, sipping on my elite black coffee. "Wanna try some of this with your coffee?" Alma turns around to face me with a plate of biscuits in his hand.

"sure," I replied with a forced smile before getting a handful and shoving them in my blazer's pockets. This made him eye me suspiciously, to which I just smiled.

"Five?" he calls out as I stand up to leave the small establishment. "Alma?" "Don't do anything unnecessary!" "Oh, it's very much necessary." And with that, I was off to another day of killing a familiar immortal, thanks to Alma.

I open my briefcase, saturated blue light shining upon my green eyes.

Whoosh

"finally," my favorite victim immediately greeted me, a bored expression plastered on her face. "It's been what? two years? and you're still late to our missions." I sigh, realizing it's been two years since that very day I saw hope in the apocalypse—hope that had turned me into the killing machine I am now.

"That's because I can end it quickly." I shake my thoughts off, grabbing a glock and blinking into the house of a family of three—well, supposedly.

I look around, only seeing two people. "AGHHHH—" The father charged, who I immediately silenced with my gun. "All this killing,"

Bang!

"I'm sick of it." I let out apathetically, watching the target's mother drop down, a pool of blood spreading across the floor slowly.

"Except for when the killing involves me, apparently." I snap out of it, staring at Ruda who just rolled her eyes and hugged the target, seemingly shielding the child from seeing her parents' tragic end.

"It's funny, you know?" "what is?" "Before I left the cafe today, Alma told me not to do anything unnecessary. . ." I trail off, wiping the blood off my dress shoes, as Ruda closes the front door from behind. ". . .As if all this weren't." I turn around, making my back face her.

"Five. . ." I could feel pity and sadness from the way she spoke my name, making me smirk mischievously.

"Do you feel sorry?" "well—yes," "The least you could do is enjoy this with me." I say, grabbing a biscuit from my pockets. I offer her the one from the left pocket while biting the one from the right.

"of course," She gives me a warm smile, leading me to sit on the porch to watch the night sky.

I stare at the poor child she has been cradling, taking her to sit on my lap and offering her biscuits.

Cough Cough

"Five?" she asks, eyeing the spit of blood on her palm. "Yours was poisoned."

Plop.

--

"HE KILLED ME AGAIN!" Ruda tells on me as The Handler pays no mind to her, getting the child out of my embrace and into hers.

"Well, I'm glad our two best assassins have great chemistry." she says, singlehandedly dismissing Ruda's cries for help.

I cover my mouth, fighting the urge to smile widely.

Knock knock

"come in," The Handler signs a closed fist to the frustrated girl next to me, making her shut it. "oh, hello!" Herb comes through the office door with documents in hand, not forgetting to say hello upon seeing us.

"Make it quick now!" The Handler claps, prompting the child on her lap. "Ah, excuse me, guys." He fixes his glasses, making his way to The Handler's desk. "You two, get going—oh! and get along, okay?~"

Thud!

Ruda kicks the door shut before I could even follow through, nearly hitting me in the face.

Whoosh

"go away," "It was just a prank." I shrug, hands in my pockets. "You offered me a chocolate one too, knowing I have a sweet tooth." She has her arms across her chest, clearly sulking.

"I was joking. . .for the most part." I say, making her stop on her tracks abruptly. ". . .Then, if you could go back in time to before you signed a contract with us, would you change your mind?"

I halt too, turning back to face her, who was just a couple of distances away from me. "no," Because then I would've gone completely insane—

—from the loneliness. . .

Which, I hate to admit, was killed off the moment you came.