Wish For Something More

It only had been an hour ago since you sent Ryan the info about the paper, and you felt your hands getting very clammy as you move your finger on the mouse, reading the syllabus. It was a topic that you felt very nervous about and you wondered if any resources that you found the last minute would help you write out a least three paragraphs. The paper was due two days after Halloween, and you only had a few days to complete it and double check it before turning it in. This paper was eating at you and all you wanted was to have it done and over with.

You stayed on your laptop for another hour or so, typing out random things on a blank document. Everything that was on your mind you had typed it out until your eyelids felt heavy and you set your alarm for 5:30am. You had to be up by then because your first and only class of the day was at nine. Your commute by bus and train would take you about an hour and a half from your house in the Bronx to NYU near Washington Square Park.

You received a text from Indra, your best friend from high school, who was living in another state for business work. It had been a long time since you've talked to her, and you told every single detail about what happened last night. Your friend was laughing fractally at you, telling you how she would've killed to have seen your horrified state. She knew you hated being scared. After a brief chat with you friend, you hurried to your dresser and get your clothes together and headed to the bathroom.

You showered, brushed your teeth, got dressed, gathered your belongings including your backpack and headed out the door and go straight to the elevator. As you waited, you felt a sensation at the back of your neck, and you turn around to see that no one was there. You turn back around to face the elevator and killed time by scrolling through your phone. Suddenly, you felt a strong gust of wind and the hairs on the back of your neck go up. You turn sharply and again, no one was there. You thought to yourself, "Am I imagining things or is it just windy?" Then you remembered that there were two windows each at one end of the halls of the building. They were both opened, meaning that the maintenance workers had just finished sweeping and mopping the hall. The smell of pine lingered, masking the old smell of the building. You sighed to yourself, feeling silly for reacting such a way.

The elevator doors open, and you stepped in and press the button to the ground floor. You put your phone away and think for a moment. The memories of last night made you think about how terrifying Ryan's performance was. You're surprised that someone like him would show a side that you never knew, and it excited you.

You got off the elevator and walked the couple of blocks to the train station. Commuters and kids, including teens, dressed in their costumes were all outside, sharing their excitement about Halloween. It's going to be an eventful day and you expected it to be busy on campus. You got inside the station and hurried down the stairs to the turnpike. You heard your train, and you swiped your MTA card and pushed the metal bars to go through. The train came rushing in and you rushed to the platform and the train stops. You and several others stepped aside, and swarm of people get off the train and within moments you get on.

There are no seats available for you to sit so you stand in the far back of the cart where it's a bit more private. The train is packed with people and more people are seen wearing costumes and masks. You're one of the few people not wearing any costumes or masks so you don't feel left out. What you did notice was that there were so many people wearing Ghostface masks. You were a fan of Ghostface and other masked characters. It wasn't just the masks that you liked, but you also liked the mystery of not knowing who was under the masks. Masked wearing men always attracted you, to the point where you'd think about various fantasies. Some of the fantasies often made you questioned whether you were mentally insane or just have a kink like any other person.

You had another ten stops to go, which would take another fifteen minutes riding the train. But for the past fifteen minutes, you noticed that someone sitting all the way down the cart kept looking at you. Their presence emitting a chilling sensation. The person was wearing a Ghostface costume and black gloves, and they were cracking their knuckles.