SIX

Besides waving hi from across the street, it has been a couple of days since I have gotten the chance to talk to Layne again.

Not that I'm avoiding him or anything...ugh, actually, I don't know what I'm doing. I want to skip across the street whenever I step outside and run to his door. And hear his sweet, inviting voice. And bask in the glow of his beautiful face.

I've been daydreaming about him doing the same. I know he's busy writing his song...but I just...I just hoped he craved to see me too. Is he avoiding me?

After another long shift at the library, I walk into Chris's record store, mesmerized by the smooth jazz playing inside. He looks up from the counter and grins when he sees me.

"You were just on my mind," Chris says radiantly. He looks so handsome as he wears a baseball cap, the cap's brim highlighting his striking blue eyes.

"I was?" I ask through a shy smile, standing on my tippy toes as I lean my elbows on the counter.

"Yeah," he nods. "I found an album for our private listening party," he nods, holding up a CD.

"Finally," I laugh.

"Mmhhmm," he nods before going on. "A band from Germany...I remember you telling me you like German music." He then squints, almost wanting to make sure.

I nod my head vigorously, excitement bubbling within me. "What's the name of the band?"

"Blumfeld," he tells me, handing me the CD.

"When can we listen to it?"

"Right now," he smiles, licking his lips. "Let me just finish closing up."

"Okay," I smile as my eyes curiously scan the interesting album cover, a group of smiling Photoshop faces in sparkling suits. I whisper the title, "L'Etat Et Moi...," attempting to sound out its syllables before setting the album on the counter.

"So, how's my favorite librarian doing?" I hear Chris ask through the sound of the registrar closing.

Looking up, I see his squinting gaze lingering longer than usual, causing my insides to heat up.

"I'm okay," I say, giggling at his stare before placing the CD on the counter.

"Just okay?" He narrows his eyes in response.

"Yessss," I sing. "How are you?" I then ask. "Seems like you're always here."

Chris chuckles before responding, "I know. I guess I don't have that much time for myself while running this whole thing."

"Maybe you should hire some employees," I suggest.

"Wanna work for me?" he playfully asks.

"No way, I can't handle you being my boss," I laugh as I sort the candy bowl on the counter.

Chris lets out a big laugh, "I can't be that bad."

I smirk at him, shaking my head. You're not bad at all. "You didn't answer my question," I realize, picking up a handful of apple-shaped candy from the bowl before gently dropping them back. "How are you?"

A smile spreads across his face as he steps away from the counter with a set of keys in hand, "I'm good." Even though we were surrounded by plenty of space, Chris's shoulder brushed against mine lightly as he strides past me to lock the front door and flip off the lights. "Alright," he sighs as he turns around and locks eyes with me.

"This place is kinda spooky when the lights are off," I note, taking in my surroundings one last time before looking back at Chris.

"Yeah, it is, isn't it," Chris laughs. His eyes become more intense in the darkness, and with a big smile, he closes the gap between us; "Just crates of music sung by the living and dead...I wonder what they do at night."