Chapter 8

"Ouch, I know that hurt his pride," comes a baritone voice laced with humor.

I look to my left and see Nathan climbing down the steps of his navy blue trailer. Even in the darkening sky, I can see just how beautiful he is.

Giving him a quick once over, I notice that he's changed from his movie wardrobe into a fitted black t-shirt and dark colored pants. I look at his head and see that his hair is slightly damp, indicating he just got out of the shower.

I can't help but think that with his dark hair wet and the outfit he's wearing, he's giving a bad boy kind of look that has my heart racing.

"Do you always ease drop on conversions, or just mine specifically?" I question with an arched eyebrow.

He gives me a grin that showcases two dimples that I hadn't noticed before. Does this man not have one flaw?

"Hey, it's not my fault our trailers are set next to each other. I heard your voice rising, and I had to see what was up, " he explains, shrugging one broad shoulder.

"Besides, I meant to come talk to you." His hand comes to the back of his head and scratches it. He looks away from my face.

Is he nervous? Bad boy of Hollywood is nervous? Over a question he wants to ask little old me? I'm intrigued.

I wait. My only response is gazing at him, waiting for him to continue.

When he notices that I'm waiting for him to go on, he releases a small breath before speaking. "I was wondering if I could take you out to dinner. Just two friends who are working together. Doesn't have to mean anything," he adds, putting both hands in the air in a hold-up before you say no gesture. My heart pounds excitedly. Stop it, heart.

"I just want to get to know you. In the movies I'm in, I like to get to know the people I'm working beside. You know, form a great, solid, working relationship with them," he informs and smiles a crooked smile.

So maybe he wasn't nervous, and it was just my stupid brain making stuff up to show he he gets as nervous as I do when we're around each other. Not that I care. There is no way I'm taking on a new relationship on anytime soon. I couldn't handle a new one, that's for sure.

Focusing back on what he just asked me, a dinner does sound nice after this long, exhausting day.

On cue, my stomach rumbles loudly.

"I guess that would be a yes?" Nathan smiles jokingly.

I return his response with a sheepish smile. "Yes, sounds good to me," I reply.

"Alright, let's go!" He walks us off set and leads us to a black truck in the parking lot. When we reach it, he goes to my side and opens the door for me. He closes it and walks around to his side.  After getting in the driver's side, he revs the engine to life.

"I know this cool, little spot. Nothing fancy, just a nice low-key spot, where hardly anybody will know who we are."

I breathe a sigh of relief. I'm in no mood to be in the publics' eye. Especially with everything going on. I nod, and he turns on the radio to play some soft music and takes off.

We stay quiet the duration of the ride, which is oddly comfortable. I look out the window, and after some time, I notice we have arrived in an area where small houses litter the area and where people are outside on almost every block talking and hanging out with one another.

I roll the window down and hear music playing from the streets. Glancing around, I can see the happiness in everybody's face from the company they are receiving. It makes me smile. It reminds me of the neighborhood Alex and I came from.