Chapter 4

"Thank you," I say to the young barista as I grab my hot coffee. The young girl with pink highlights smiles widely at me.

Her big brown eyes are shining with excitement as she continues to stare at me. She doesn't say anything as she seems star struck. I'm not surprised that I don't receive any more words in return. It's something I've become accustomed to.

People usually are so excited that they are either all over me talking a hundred miles per hour as they shove their camera in my face or they don't say nothing at all and just stare with a wide smile or their mouth agape.

I offer her a small smile and turn away from her and walk through the doors that lead out to the streets of L.A.

The weather is scorching hot today and I can already feel myself sweating through my thin, red t-shirt.

I put my Ray Bans on and lower my cap I have on more, so that I can try and avoid anybody who may recognize me.

I walk to my blacked out Jeep Wrangler parked out front and quickly slide into the driver's seat and promptly remove my disguise. I look in the review mirror and sigh at my reflection. I love being famous, but I hate that the world seems to know all of my business.

I hate that I'm being a coward and avoiding the public eye. I just can't help it, but I know if they start throwing break up questions at me it'll break me down again.

I close my eyes and lean back against the head rest before taking a deep breath. I try to clear my mind before opening them back up and turning the key to the ignition. The car revs to life.

I need to be on my A game today. It's the first table read for the new movie that I'm taking part in.

This is the chance to get me to move on and become myself again. I can't be cooped up in my house 24/7. I need to live and stop acting like my life depends on Alex being by my side.

With this new resolve I pull out onto the traffic filled streets of L.A. and head towards the location of the table read.

****
I park my car and jump out when I have arrived. I walk through the doors of the building and am met by my agent Sophie. She looks very pretty in her dark gray charcoal pant suit. Her hair is in it's natural dark curls and she has light makeup on that compliments her dark skin tone and accentuates her high check bones and brown colored eyes.

"Hey Avery, how are you this morning?" her soft voice asks.

I give her a polite smile, "I'm good. I'm ready to get to work." If I keep telling myself that I'm good maybe I'll start believing it.

She nods her head at me. "I'm glad. I really think this movie will get you out of the funk you've been in. Aside from that, I wanted to let you know that I was just told a few moments ago that your co-star has already arrived and is at the table ready to go. You never asked who he was, but his name is Nathan Wilder."

I raise my eyebrows in curiosity. Never heard of him before.

Noticing my curious expression Sophie goes on to explain who the man is. "He's the guy that did that superhero movie that just came out two weeks ago. He played the villan." I shrug my shoulders at her. I still have no clue who she's talking about.

"Wow Avery. Have you been living under a rock? This guy is the real deal. He's the hottest thing right now...and I don't mean hot as in just his acting, but hot hot. Like he is one fine piece of..."

She stops herself before finishing her sentence. If it weren't for her dark skin tone I know she would be blushing right now.

She chuckles embarrassingly. "Sorry for that. But don't judge me! You'll see what I mean when you see him" she huffs.

I roll my eyes dramatically. I've seen so many "hot" guys in this industry. The only thing is that a lot of them may be beautiful, but there personality sure doesn't go with it. They're usually self absorbed and/or a-holes.

Except Alex. He was perfect until fame took a toll on him.

Ugh! Stop!

I can't keep letting my mind drift to him.

I scold myself some more and follow Sophie to the room location of the table read.

She opens the door for me and ushers me inside. The tables are put in a way that forms a giant circle, so that everybody can see each other. I see unfamiliar and familiar faces seated at different places. I say a quick hello to those in the room.

John our director stands from his seat and comes to stand in front of me.

"Hey Avery. Glad you're here. I wanted you to meet someone before we get started. I know we didn't get you two to act out a few scenes to test the chemistry before casting you both, but I already know it's gonna be great. I can feel it in my bones," he expresses excitedly.

I smile at him. He always "feels" what's going to happen. He's a man that goes with his guts and honestly I trust his gut. He felt that Alex and I would make his last movie big and we did. He's the man that made our dreams come true.

As if on cue, I feel a presence from behind me.

John smiles widely.

"Avery Emerson. It's nice to finally meet the girl I will be sweeping off her feet," a deep, smooth voice resonates behind me.

The sound of it has the hair on my arms standing at attention. It unexpectedly sends a shiver down my spine.

I turn around to meet the man who possesses the delightful sound.

When I see him I feel like I'm a deer caught in headlights.

He is absolutely breathtaking.

I look up to his stunning cobalt blue eyes that shine with mischief. His dark, shiny hair is perfectly styled and looks so soft. I wonder what it feels like to run my hands through it?

My eyes having a mind of their own roam over his tall frame. He stands at about 6 foot 3''. His stong arms are crossed against his broad chest. Due to their placement, his biceps bulge clearly showing that the man does indeed workout.

My eyes move away from the sight of his spectacular muscles and to his defined jaw. Stubble lays across it and I get the overwhelming feeling to lay my hand against it. My eyes flicker to his pink lips. They are full and inviting. When his tongue darts out to lick them I can't help but imagine what they feel like.

"Sweep you off your feet in the movie that is," a voice interrupts my inappropriate thoughts.

I feel my cheeks burn up and I glance away from him for a moment hoping he didn't notice my ogling.

I clear my throat and chuckle nervously. "Yes, of course." Get it together girl. You're embarrassing yourself.

"Well it's so nice to meet you. I knew you were beautiful on the screen, but in person you're just stunning. I'm glad I get to be the man by your side. We're going to have a very fun time," he smirks at me. The way he said 'have a very fun time' sounded so sultry and like a promise. It leaves me speechless. With those last few words he strides across the room to his seat.

I look at him as he departs noticing his taut back through his fitted shirt and firm butt.

I look over at Sophie, who is currently fanning herself looking at him as well.

She makes eye contact with me and whispers an 'I told you so.'

Before I go and take my seat at the table I try to calm myself down. Oh boy. This is going to be a long few months.

____________________________________________________________________________

Please vote and comment.