𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐔𝐗𝐀𝐑𝐘, 𝟒

Today was the big day. Normani's first day on the job. She felt a twinge of anxiety, but most of it was overshadowed by excitement.

In honor of attaining her new job, she purposely overslept her alarm, treating herself to a much needed beauty rest. Soon, she wouldn't need to attend class at all with all the money she'd be making. At least, that was the hope.

As such, Normani had no care in the world when she waltzed into her Gender, Sexualities, & The Media class late.

"Normani, you're late once again." The professor defeatedly sighed. No matter how hard she tried to encourage Normani to show up on time, the careless student never did.

"I know. I overslept my alarm."

"You've been oversleeping your alarm since the beginning of the semester."

The dirty blonde-haired professor crossed her arms over her chest with a frown on her face. Normani assumed the fierce look in her eye was supposed to move her. It didn't. Actually, she found it amusing that her professor believed that she cared about her class in the first place. It was an insignificant GE that she had to take. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Again, I know. Why do you keep stating the obvious Kirsten?"

The classroom erupted into a fit of giggles. This only made Normani confidently smirk. If the whole assistant pimp gig doesn't work out with Stalli, Normani at least knew that she could try to become a comedian.

The professor's jaw clenched and her face turned beet red. Normani had been the only student in all her years of teaching that she couldn't crack. Oftentimes, students fell in line simply because they loved the subject matter of the course or because they were intimidated by the woman's heels and pantsuit that she wore to class everyday. Not to mention, the authoritative personality she had to match. Those students weren't Normani, though; they were weak.

"There will be 0.5 points deducted from your participation grade." She coldly stated the obvious once more.

"Ok." Was all Normani responded with before finding her usual seat in the fourth row of the class next to Amala. The classroom was smaller than the usual lecture-style classrooms on campus. It held approximately 60 students and contained tables on the left and right sides of the room, leaving a middle isle free of any obstacles. Four students were to a table which offered them plenty of opportunities to get to know each other. However, Normani preferred not to. She took the seat closet to the wall leaving no one on the other side of her.

"Hey," Amala greeted softly, sliding her books over from Normani's spot.

"Hey," Normani responded as she shrugged her book bag off her shoulders and sat down. "You look nice."

A blush crept its way onto the lighter woman's cheeks. "Thanks, Mani."

"You're welcome." Normani winked. "You should show off your new cut more often. It really suits you."

Amala rolled her eyes and fixed her pink plaid blazer that exposed a decent amount of her cleavage. Normani's eyes darted to her friend's chest but quickly found her face when she felt a gentle shove to her shoulder.

"Can you not be a horn-ball for two seconds?"

"I'm sorry. It's a habit." Normani shrugged with an apologetic smile.

"A habit that you should dispose of considering that you have a boyfriend. Am I wrong?"Amala pointedly looked at Normani with a raised brow.

"You know my situation. He's my boyfriend but he's a dub in every way possible."

"Then why don't you break up with him?" Even though the lighter-skinned woman's tone seemed accusatory, Normani could see the hopefulness in her eyes.

"Because I need money. Something that you also know. Are you not going to thank me for my compliment?"