Part 3: The Decision

As Emmeline entered the dining hall, everyone was already seated. "Ah! Everyone, my daughter. Who is surprisingly LATE to our dinner." The king said with a fake laugh. Emmeline curtseyed. "I apologize." And then she sat down at her seat. There were a good few faces she recognized, but a lot she did not. One face did look familiar but she was not sure why. He was an elderly man with a gray cloak and pointy gray hat. Then she saw a large older man who looked about in his 40's lick his lips eagerly at her. She wanted to vomit. "Emmeline, may I introduce to you Prince Jenoh." The king said as he motioned at the man who had been looking at her that way. How disgusting, Emmeline thought to herself. She nodded to the man slightly and then turned away.

She looked again at the man who wore the gray cloak and hat, he seemed almost from a dream...wait... "Gandalf?" She said aloud amidst the other people talking. The man turned and smiled at her. "Why, you remember me!" He said. Emmeline smiled at the man. "How could I forget?" She remembered Gandalf coming over to the castle many times when she was younger. He was always very pleasant to have around and made mourning the queen's death much easier for both Emmeline and the king. Although the king is not the same now, he has been driven mad.

As the servants brought out the food for everyone to eat, the king was in deep conversation with Prince Jenoh's father, King Ruthum, who looked to be at least 70. Prince Jenoh finally spoke to Emmeline. "My, my, Princess. You do look ravishing tonight." He said with a sneer. It took all of Emmeline not to snap at the man. "Thank you, your highness." She said forcefully. "I can teach you how to properly dress, Princess." He said in a deep voice. Emmeline widened her eyes and was about to say something back to him but before she could open her mouth, the king spoke.

"Everyone! Let the feast commence!" He said and everyone began to eat the food. It was roasted hog with bowls of soup, apples on the side, and wine in everyone's cups. It was rather delicious, but the comments Prince Jenoh said to her made her feel nauseous...was she really going to be married to this glutton for her whole life? She already despised him.

After everyone has eaten it had gotten more quiet. Gandalf then stood from his chair. "I have an important thing to say to everyone here." He said and the room fell silent. "As I'm sure we are all aware, a great evil is upon us. I am going to Rivendell tomorrow midday to discuss this with other members of the middle earth council, we need a representative from Nén túrindielya. Your kingdom is not required to participate in whatever this may be, but we need a representation tomorrow." He explained. Everyone fell silent.

Even the king did not say anything. He did not want to have anything to do with Rivendell or anyone else. What cowardice, Emmeline thought to herself. These men can talk about how inferior women are and yet will not stand up for what is right. She then stood up out of her chair. "I will go." She said with determination. Everyone in the room except for Gandalf burst out into laughter. "A woman? On the middle earth council?" King Ruthum sneered and laughed again with everyone else. "Silence!" Gandalf commanded. Everyone fell silent again. Then Emmeline's father spoke, "Emmeline, you are to be married to Prince Jenoh, you will not be leaving." He started, still recovering from the laughter. "I never agreed to this marriage father." She said seriously.

He stopped laughing. "You will do as your told and be put in your place." He snapped. "Unless I go to represent Nén túrindielya tomorrow, I will not marry Prince Jenoh." She said back. A few people in the room gasped. Gandalf watched with fascination. "Fine, my daughter. If it's a deal you want, it's a deal you will get." He said. "I will go to represent us tomorrow in Rivendell and once everything is resolved, then..." She took a hesitant breath. "And only then will I marry Prince Jenoh."

"Why should we care anything about Rivendell? They contributed to your mother's death you know." Her father slurred, obviously drunk from all of the wine. "They had nothing to do with it and you know it. This also does not concern only Rivendell, but all of Middle Earth." She spoke with passion. The king just laughed and said, "Go then, go, see Rivendell and the murderers there." Everyone else laughed as well, except Gandalf. Emmeline quickly walked out of the room as the laughter echoed behind her. Gandalf followed her out. Emmeline's eyes were filled with tears.

"That was a very courageous thing you did, Emmeline. They do not understand what is happening but I have a very strong feeling you do." He said. She nodded. "Now, no one can know you are a princess tomorrow at the meeting, it may invalidate you. I know that you are very strong and brave, but they might not see that tomorrow. You cannot wear a dress like you are right now, you will say you are on the King's guard and are a messenger for him as well." Emmeline nodded again, eagerly listening. "I am going to wipe everyone's memory in that room so they will have no remembrance of the last discussion. It is important that your visit is secret."

"I understand." She said. "Good. Now go. Pack light and get some sleep as we have traveling to do in the morning." He said. "I will. Goodnight Gandalf." Emmeline started to walk away but then paused. She turned around and gave Gandalf a hug. He was almost like a grandfather to her. "I missed you." "I missed you as well."