Chapter 4 : Awkward

I walk inside, staring at my feet. I don't like that my hair looks 'pretty' anymore, I feel like everybody is looking at me. I only look up when I accidentally run into somebody. I look up to apologize but pause with my mouth open. Of course it's him. "Sorry" I quickly look down and rush past him before he can respond.

I sit down next to Tsireya at the end of the table, since Rotxo isn't here. Opposite Tsireya, I see the shorter Sully boy nervously take a seat. I sigh and keep my head facing the table. I hear somebody sit opposite me and I look up to check who it is. "Hey there fish lips" I roll my eyes and nod a greeting at him.

"Alright, dig in!" I hear my mother tell everybody that they can begin to eat. I see my father and Jake Sully immediately start eating, along with Tuk and Lo'ak. Tsireya and Kiri do the same but a bit neater that the others. The two mothers take the same approach as Reya and slowly start eating from the food placed in front of them.

"Neteyam, Aren't you gonna eat" Lo'ak sloppily speaks to his brother, in between bites. "Yeah, sure" he looks down at the food on his plate like it is the most unappetizing meal he has ever seen. I continue gazing at him as he carefully picks up a piece of fish and reluctantly puts it in his mouth to chew.

Tsireya nudges my shoulder stopping me from my thoughts, her mouth is full so she signs her remarks instead. 'Brother, are you not going to eat?' I realize that as I was staring at Neteyam, I hadn't started eating my food either. 'I am' I sign before looking at Neteyam one last time, who is now picking some of the parts of his food to the side, before eating.

"Bro, ga je weer zo langzaam eten? (bro, are you going to eat so slowly again)" I hear Lo'ak say something in what I presume is English to his brother. "Wat will je dat ik anders doe? (what else would you want me to do?)" he responds in the same language, still confusing me. "Geef het dan maar aan mij hoor! (In that case just give it to me)" I see Lo'ak fake grabbing his brothers food as this is spoken.

"Jongens! spreek na'vi! Zij kunnen geen engels! (boys! speak na'vi! the others can't speak English!)" Kiri seems to join the conversation with something that annoys the two boys, especially Lo'ak. "He started it" Neteyam says, finally something I can understand!

"But he was doing the thing agai-" Lo'ak starts protesting to Kiri but gets cut off by Kiri who shushes him. He rolls his eyes and gets back to his food, I do the same. By now, I have completely forgotten about my hair (that is until some jackass decided to bring it up).

"Hey Ao'nung, nice hair" Lo'ak mocks, causing me to look up and scowl at him. I suddenly don't feel very hungry anymore and just want to leave. "Father, may I be excused?" I look past Reya to meet my father's eyes.

He looks at me with an annoyed expression but nods nonetheless. I silently thank him and get up  from the table, walking towards the exit. As soon as I am far enough from the marui, I break into a run until I reach the beach. About to run into the water, I feel a soft hand touch my shoulder.