Chapter 21 : Tulkun

⋆*.•Neteyam POV•.*⋆

After we were done with the lesson and had gone back to the maruis, it was already sundown. We said goodbye and I took Tuk with me to our family marui, where Kiri and Lo'ak were already sitting, talking about their lessons. "Sorry I'm late mama" I nod over to my mother, who is sitting in the corner preparing what looks like fish.

"It is alright son, don't worry" I nod at my mother and sit down on my mat. "don't forget to eat" Kiri puts some seaweed-wrapped fish in my hand. "I'm not-" "I don't care, eat" I nod and look down at the food in my hand, kinda scared of my little sister. After I finish eating the fish, I adjust my position so I am laying down, and drift off into a calm sleep.

---------------------------------

"Teyam! Teyam! Wake up!" I groan and squint my eyes at the harsh light reaching my face. "What is it Tanhì?" I cringe at my croaky morning voice, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. "Wake up buttercup" I hear a deeper voice, that definitely does not belong to Tuk, speak to me. Opening my eyes yet again, I see a silhouette standing in front of me.

"Ma'nung?" I squint at the figure and sit up from my mat. "Yep" he holds out a hand to me and helps me stand up. "I'm gonna go find Kiri!" Tuk runs off again, almost tripping and falling into the water during her elaborate escape. I turn back to Ao'nung and see that he has a bright smile on his face.

"You gonna tell my why you woke me up?" I look at him, trying to keep a serious expression on my face. "I'd much rather show you" I groan at the phrase and wait to be told what to do. "Close your eyes Ma'teyam" I quickly roll my eyes before closing them. Ao'nung puts his arms around my waist and leads me out of the marui.

"Open your eyes" the whisper in my ear sends a shiver down my spine as I open my eyes and see the reef filled with huge creatures. "Are those the... Tulkun?" I turn back over to Ao and he nods, happy as I've ever seen him.

"Do you want to meet my spirit brother?" I nod and he tightens his grip around my waist, pulling me after him in the water. He holds me against his chest as he uses his tail to bring us forwards through the water. After some aimless swimming, he goes up to the surface.

"Couldn't have done that sooner?" I pant, leaning on his shoulder for support. "Oh don't be a baby Ma'teyam" he smiles, looking around above the water for his spirit brother. "What's his name?" I follow Ao'nung's gaze, trying to find out what his spirit brother looks like. "Tìrol" I look back over at his face when he says this, his expression being pure bliss.

"There he is!" I look over just in time to see a big whale-like creature swimming towards us. "Be right back!" he beams at me and swims down to his spirit brother's eye, smiling like a jackass.

⋆*.•Ao'nung POV•.*⋆

'Hello my brother' I happily sign a greeting to him, swimming in a little circle. 'Hello, how are you Ao'nung?' he signs back to me, moving his fins around excitedly. 'I am' I pause for a momment, trying to think of the perfect word 'wonderful'. 'How are you Tìrol?' I sign a question back at him, still making my face hurt from the smile on my face. 'I am also great' I see his eye flicker up to Neteyam in confusion, making me turn back and see he is watching us.

'Who is that boy? He does not look like metkayina' he continues watching Neteyam, almost cautiously. 'It is alright Tìrol, he is good' I calm my spirit brother, him signaling for me to explain why 'he is good'. 'His family came to stay with our clan a while back' I sign, hoping this is enough information.

'Do you have a crush on him?' he looks at me with a knowing look in his eyes, making me blush. 'no.... Maybe.... I don't know dude...' I swim a bit closer and sit on his fin. 'Just saying, he definetely likes you' my spirit brother gestures over at Neteyam, and I see him smiling as he watches my interaction. 'Really?' he nods, I feel my smile instantly widen, if that was even possible.

'Let's go up to talk, I wanna meet this dude' he yanks me up onto the surface, close to Neteyam. 'Fuck you dude' I quickly sign to my spirit brother, holding out a hand for Neteyam to come sit next to me. "Neteyam, this is Tìrol. Tìrol, this is Neteyam" I introduce the two, hoping they will get along well. 'Hello, nice to meet you Tìrol' Neteyam's sign language is completely flawless as he communicates to my spirit brother.

'Do you like Ao'nung?' Neteyam stares at the Tulkun, flushed. 'As a friend?' he tries to get himself out of the situation, me laughing my head off in the background. 'No, you know what I mean' Neteyam pauses for a second, leaving me some time to calm myself. 'Yes' I never knew such a simple word could make me feel so, happy.

I immediately grab the boy in front of me by the waist, pulling him close to me. "MA'NUNG WHAT ARE YOU-" "quiet Ma'teyam" I whisper it as quietly as I can. In the corner of my eye, I see Tìrol signing something. Something along the lines of 'Gross, gross, gross, ew, stop, gross, ew'. I chuckle at my spirit brother's attitude, locking eyes with Neteyam again.

"AO'NUNG, GET OVER HERE NOW!" I quickly snap my head over in the direction of the noise, seeing my father standing on one of the decks nearby. I hastily let go of Neteyam, not looking him in the eyes before I dive into the water. I swim as fast as I can, climbing on the deck just in time for my father to pull my ear.

"You are coming with me boy" he pulls me with him, all the way to our marui. "Sit" he demands, making me immediately oblidge. "You shouldn't be with that boy, he is a distraction" I look at my father, not reacting to his words. "You are to be the next Olo'eyktan, you shouldn't be going around, kissing every boy you meet" he gestures wildly, leaving me sitting there, shocked.

"Dad I can-" "I'm not finished son. You are going to stop hanging out with him, except for training" my breath hitches at this, stop hanging out with him? "Yes sir" I look down, wallking out of the marui before another word can be uttered. I walk all the way to the beach, sitting down on some of the rocks. How am I going to say this to him?

"Hey Ao, what happened?" I hear his voice from behind me, making me stand up and turn around quickly. "I don't think we should hang out anymore" I try my best to keep my voice steady as I speak to him. "What?" he chuckles a bit, thinking that I'm telling him some kind of sick twisted joke. "You are a distrsction from my duties, I do not think we should speak to eachother outside of training" I keep my voice quiet, but cold, emotionless.

"Oh, so I am a burden, yea you're right I should just- I'm gonna- bye" I can feel my heart shatter into a billion pieces as he walks away again. No no neteyam you've got it wrong! All I want to do is run after him and engulf him in a hug. I want to tell him that I don't care what my father thinks, and that I would love him forever. But I stay put.

When I lose sight of the boy I had hurt, I lose strength in my legs. I colapse onto the jagged rocks beneath my feat, scraping my knees. I sit down, pulling my knees up to my chest and closing my eyes. I want the rocks to consume me, I want to die and go back to eywa. I want to yell at my father for making me do this. But I don't.

Then, the village horn goes.

---------------------------------

*.•A/n•.*

Idc what to think about this chapter, so yeah. That's basically all I wanted to say for this one, so

Thank you so so so so so much for reading this chapter and have a wonderful day/night! 💙

---------------------------------

*.•Lovely - BoywithUke•.*

<< || >>