Chapter Eight

I stumbled over to him and placed my hand over his neck to feel for a pulse.

"You're still breathing." I say through tears.

He attempts to take my hand, but when he is too weak to do so, I grab his.

"Y/n.. listen to me." He's barely comprehensible, but I can still make out his words.

"I will be okay. I promise. Don't worry yourself." He says.

I watch as his fingers begin to unravel from mine, and the life disappears from his hand, and then the rest of his body.

I reach for my phone to call 9/11.

Within minutes, they arrive, and we're taken to the hospital.

I hold his hand the whole way there. I find myself not able to snap out of my own thoughts. The EMT has to remind me of where I am several times.

Not much longer after, he is pronounced dead at Hell's Pass Hospital.

My cold expression changes to a fit of tears.

"Y/n?" I hear someone call.

I turn around to be met with Kyle, Stan and Cartman.

Kyle opens his arms and I walk into them. He wraps his arms around me, and I feel Stan's hand on my shoulder. The four of us stand there in the hospital room. Even Cartman's silent tears grow louder and time seems to freeze.

The night becomes a blur to me, and somehow I wind up at home. I barely remember the car ride. I don't even know who was the one to bring me here.

I slowly crawl up to my bed. It's 11pm and no one is awake. We were in that hospital for hours.

I don't bother to change my clothes or do anything of the sort.

I cry myself to sleep that night.

*

The next morning I wake up from my alarm blaring in my ears.

Last night's events replay over and over again in my mind.

I don't speak. I don't say good morning to my parents. I only get dressed and get ready for school.

At least if I was doing something, I could get a distraction.

I don't look in the mirror before I leave, I saw no point in looking good.

I leave to go to the bus stop. It felt as though I was dragging my limbs along with me instead of my limbs being the ones to walk me.

As I approach the bus stop, I notice something.

A boy in an orange parka.

For a moment, I don't believe that what I'm seeing is real. I stop in my tracks and squint.

Maybe I'm dreaming now.

I stand there longer, wondering if this is reality.

"Y/n?" I hear Kyle say.

Stan turns around, and then Cartman.

Then Kenny turns around.

Or maybe I dreamt last night.

I run to Kenny, overjoyed and smiling. Once he notices that I'm running to him, he opens his arms to prepare for my embrace.

I jump into his arms and because of the speed I was running at, he spins me around.

I kiss his cheek over and over again.

"You're okay!" I say.

He puts me down. "Yeah of course I'm okay."

I get a glimpse of the way the rest of the boys are staring at me. "I had a dream you died last night, Kenny." I say, ignoring the boys' glances.

Kenny's face turns pale. I ignore this.

"You were all there!" I say and begin to describe the cloudy details of last night.

"You must really love him." Cartman says. This time Stan and Kyle agree.

When I finish explaining, I notice Kenny is staring off into space.

I wave my hand in front of him.

*Kenny's POV*

How can she remember?

She described every detail of what happened last night perfectly.

She remembered the words I had told her before I died.

Y/n waves a hand in front of my face. "You okay Kenny?"

I nod, then go back to my thoughts.

If she thinks it's a dream then maybe I shouldn't tell her what really happened. Maybe in this case ignorance is bliss.

But if she really does remember, how can she think it's a dream?

Unless she dissociated for most of it and simply doesn't understand. For now, I'll keep this a secret.

*Y/n's POV*

"Isn't that crazy?" I ask.

Kenny quickly puts his arm around me and gives me a light squeeze. "I'm here now." He says.

At school and in every class we have together, Kenny seems confused.

He seems dazed and uncertain, just as I was.

The more I think about last night, the more I wonder about how it could've felt so real. For the most part, it was blurry. But sometimes it felt so real as if I was reliving it all again.

If there was something that I realized, it was that life was short.

I decided that it would be okay to admit it to myself, as long as no one else knew.

But deep down it was true,

I had feelings for Kenny.