Chapter Twenty-six

After our class finished and Kyle and I were walking back, I couldn't help but ask him why he and Heidi weren't doing anything about their feelings for each other. It made him so sad, I saw it in his eyes, just as I'm sure everyone else did.

"I don't know." He said after each time I asked him. Then, on the last time, he told me. 

"Because Cartman is an asshole." He finally said. 

I looked at him, curious. "Since when do you care about that?" 

He shrugged. "Cartman was with her first. Bro code." 

I stare at him blankly. "Kyle, when has Cartman ever respected your bro code. When has he ever respected anyone?"

He paused, the sadness growing in his eyes. "He hasn't, I don't know. I just don't know how Heidi would feel." 

We met up with the boys again after that. Heidi and Wendy were there too. I watched as Kyle kept glancing over at her with longing eyes. He was hypnotized by her. The way he would watch her when she talked was endearing.  

*

Later that night, I laid with Kenny on my bed as we talked. 

"Baby do you think Kyle and Heidi will ever be together?" I asked. He paused, his eyes met with mine. 

"I hope so." Was all he said. He ran his fingers through my hair and then cupped my face, quickly kissing me. 

I became quiet, thinking about the two. I remembered the way he held her at the party and how much it must've hurt to let her go. 

I decided that the next time I would talk to Heidi I would get her side of it, and talk Kyle up a bit. He had always been so helpful to me, so I knew I wanted to do the same for him. 

That's exactly what I did, the next day at school, I was talking to Wendy when Heidi came up to us, joining our conversation. 

We brought Wendy to her class, and once Wendy was gone I told her I needed to talk to her.

"What's up?" Heidi asked with a smile. 

"I was just wondering, are you and Kyle a thing?" I asked rather abruptly. 

I watched as her face reddened, then became pale as she began to look around. "Nothing." She stuttered, almost fearful. She was upset. 

Because I was so taken aback by her reaction, I instinctively took her hands. "Oh Heidi, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset." 

"It's okay." She replied after a long pause, then her look of fear turned to sadness. She looked down and stuffed her hands into her pockets. 

I wanted to say more, I wanted to help them but there was clearly something deeper going on here, something she didn't want to talk about. Since I was still fairly new here, I wasn't completely aware of all the things that had happened before. I would ask Kenny later and see what he had to say about it. 

When I met up with Kenny just after school, I decided I would ask him about Heidi's strange reaction. 

When I asked, he seemed as if he was remembering something, and his voice changed. "I think she's scared." He said.

"Scared? Scared why?" I asked. 

"Cartman was horrible to her. We all saw it. He treated her like it was nothing, he even pushed her in front of a bus." 

My eyes widened as he continued. 

"I guess she's just afraid of what Cartman would do if they got together. He literally killed his own dad." Kenny finished. 

I felt myself panic at those words, mostly because this was something I had not known before. Kenny noticed this. 

"Oh, I'm sorry." He said, pulling me close to him. "I didn't want you to know that yet." 

I gave him a look. "What the hell goes on in this town?" I exclaimed. 

"Tell me everything, Kenny." I said, and he did exactly that. We sat on a park bench and he told me the story. Cartman didn't know it was his father at the time, and he was mad at this Scott Tenorman kid, so he had his parents killed. He only found out it was also his dad years later. 

Kenny told me the whole story with his arm around me. Once he finished, I remained silent, taking it all in and wondering about all the other secrets that South Park kept hidden. 

I saw Cartman differently. Before he was just a dickhead, now he's just insane. I understood why Heidi didn't want to get involved with Kyle now. 

"How didn't he get arrested for that?" I asked. Kenny just shrugged his response. 

I was pretty pissed now. I didn't want to fuck with Cartman, but I knew he couldn't just do what he wanted. I decided I would just keep him on my radar and see what happens. I hoped that he wouldn't do anything more. 

I looked at Kenny, who was just staring blankly ahead and not saying anything, presumably remembering something. "And what about Heidi and Kyle?" I asked. 

He was quiet for just a few seconds more. 

"They've always loved each other, baby." He said. 

I then realized the extent of the situation. Kenny then stood up, reaching out his hand for me to take. 

"Where are we going?" I accepted his hand as his pulled me up. 

"Let's go out to eat, there are a lot of things you should know." 

A/N: Sorry for the delay! I have not had a minute to myself this whole week!