Chapter 13 Etajima Naval Academy

Present

"What's the headliner?" Hiang asked the room.

This was the daily morning meeting with her assistant editors and senior journalists at the Singapore Times office right in the middle of Orchard Road.

"5 billion committed to anti-flooding measures?" a voice suggested.

"Lee Hong Shi returns to Singapore?" another suggested.

"Sino-Nippon Alliance in trouble?"

"Workers' Party advocates for homeless?"

"Seriously, those are our choices?" Hiang asked the room. "Cheng what do you think?"

"I think there's more stuff going on overseas than in Singapore. Definitely Lee Hong Shi is out. 'NATO on the verge of collapse' for example."

"What's happening there?" Hiang asked.

"Turkey, Hungary, and Ukraine have elected pro-Russian governments. The Alliance is now threatened by three members who seem to share intelligence with the Russians. How does this affect the alliance in the future? Does Russia know the secrets of the alliance? Even if there is no formal sharing of intelligence, what's the chances these states have Russian moles within their military with knowledge of NATO strategy and troop disposition? I think our international team could come up with something today and make that front page."

"I like that," Hiang concurred.

"I think the flood measures are important," one assistant editor said.

"Yes, I think that can be the second headline. So what's the third?" Hiang said.

"'Worker's Party advocates for homeless' have some potential," Linda, her other assistant editor chipped in. "This is a human element story with close up interviews of some homeless people and how they got there. It's time we focus on this people."

"I agree," Hiang said. "Let's go with that."

Hiang's secretary walked in with a note and gave it to her. She glanced at it.

"I have a call to take, please carry on. Cheng please take over."

"Hello," Hiang spoke into the phone in her office.

"Hello Evelyn!"

"Oona San? So good to hear from you. How are you?"

"Good good, and yourself?"

"I am fine Oona. I have been thinking about the trip to Fukuyama last year and it was such an enlightening trip because of you."

"It was my pleasure. I have some news for you about Major Nur."

Hiang paused in anticipation.

"But I can't discuss this over the phone," Oona continued. "Are you able to come to Etajima next week on October 2nd?"

"Etajima?"

"Yes, we will be visiting the Naval Academy at Etajima."

"Is there something there about Nur?"

"Hai."

Hiang looked at her schedule quickly and said yes.

A week later, Oona picked her up at the airport, and drove her to the hotel. They had dinner together in the hotel restaurant.

Hiang had not asked Oona what that news was that had brought her to Etajima. The dinner was the first opportunity she could do so.

"Oona San, you said you couldn't convey the news over the phone, what can you tell me of Major Nur?"