Into The Wild Again To Face The Great Unknown

The next few weeks go by in a blur to the young man, he is so caught up in adjusting to a new routine he had been thrown into that time passing barely occurs to Ranboo until the rent notice came. Staying up late into the night studying had taken its toll on his sleeping schedule, not that he had much of one to begin with, so he had taken to stopping by the cafe each morning for a tea to compensate.

Phil and a beautiful raven haired woman worked the early shifts, she quickly introduced herself as Kristin and both would prepare his tea perfectly. Usually it was waiting for him to pick up the moment he walked in once they knew his routine. Sometimes the orders were even waived, if either of them saw him down about something they would tell him it was covered with kind smiles. They certainly didn't have too, he couldn't imagine the amount of others who received the same treatment and what a loss it ran. But they both seemed so happy, they radiated joy and put a grin on his own face with just how damn welcoming they were.

He couldn't deny the cafe was quickly becoming a safe space, he found himself more often considering staying late one night to study. He hadn't dared to come back after the last time when his laptop broke, his mind constantly telling him he should only rely on himself, why break out of what he knew to be safe. Ranboo wasn't experienced with having friends, his tales the only thing he needed for comfort.

The one draw of going was Tommy refused to leave him alone and kept insisting he should come back to hang out, saying he shouldn't overwork himself and actually have fun for once. Tommy, Tubbo and himself had taken to having lunch together when they were all at school, finding a quiet spot outside on the property to eat lunch while laughing loudly. The pair had grown close to Ranboo in a very short amount of time, he found his thoughts wandering how they were doing more often than not.

It had even become routine for them to text everyday; Tubbo offering sweet good mornings while Tommy's messages came across ringing with his personality, filled with promises and threats if they didn't hang out besides during school. Ranboo truly wasn't sure how to deal with the aggressive affection they freely gave, offering tentative kindness back while they slowly broke down his walls.

It was the last Monday of the month and his mail had just been delivered, he had about an hour before his first class of the day. The letter opened in front of him had sent his heart racing, turns out no matter how much he planned unexpected expenses were draining the savings faster than he would like. He didn't have a true grasp at the cost of providing for oneself after moving out and was now considering looking into a part time job, just the weekends, to at least provide his grocery money. He still had enough saved to cover the rest of the lease, but having some income would relieve his other anxieties.

Finding a thumb tack he pins it to the corkboard by the door, giving it one last long look before leaving through his front door after gathering his backpack. Jiggling the metal knob twice after locking it, his brain telling him to just make sure it's secured, Ranboo then takes long strides to the elevator to leave for university.

The sun is shining bright as he exits, plugging in his headphones he slips them over his ears. Today he had brushed his two toned hair into a low ponytail, planning to stop by the Crows Roost Cafe for his cinnamon vanilla tea. He passed the same bookshop he went past everyday, realising the plus side of getting a job meant he could finally go in there without guilt. The well loved covers displayed in the windows called to be leafed through, finding a new world to fall in love with. Some series truly felt like homes to him, stories created comfort for the boy and once he got regular income maybe he could get a new one to reread many times.

The sign for the Crows Roost Cafe was a happy beacon to the tall boy, ducking in the glass door as the chimes of bells greet him merrily. Kristin is bustling behind the counter alone this morning, still busy but not crazy like sometimes it was. As Ranboo glances over the chalkboard like he isn't going to order the same thing he always does, he sees a new sign taped to the side of the menu.