Chapter Two - The Arrival

When Ava finally arrived at the farm, she did not make much of it. She got off the carriage, no rush or haste, as the boredom of the journey had finally wearied her out. She allowed the coachman to get her bags, the heavy morning breeze keeping the knot tight in her stomach, already tensed and upset by the change in the atmosphere. The sun had fully risen, fueling the air with further heat. The young girl did not waste time looking around and investigating the new place, the sight of her welcoming mother and aunt satisfactory enough for the moment. They embraced her and showered her with kisses and she embraced and kissed them back, feeling that the gap of four years of absence had already been filled and sealed.

At the doorstep, four children, three girls and a boy, aligned to welcome the new comer. They were her cousins, grown up so much since Ava had last seen them. She didn't bid them farewell before departing to the city, but they were all excited to the point of twiddling on their toe tips to see her arriving in a simple white dress, neatly adorned with flowery lace at the sleeves and collar, boosting the beauty of the woman's long white neck, she held her brown coat in hand, dismissed by the growing heat, and wore matching colored hat with similar flowery pattern to the dress beneath. The air of the city that perfumed around her added to the aloofness in her stares and made the young children look up at the ballerina dancer like some mystical beautiful creature. The gifts she did not delay to mention added to their fascination and neutralized their owe of her.

She stepped into the house surrounded by the little kids and followed by her mother, aunt and lastly the servant staggering with the bags. Once past the parlor and inside the round sitting room, Ava finally took notice of the new house. The sitting room set the picture for the rest of the house; acceptable space, not as wide as their previous home, but apparently the land outside was to compensate for this. It had two floors as the stairway on her left suggested. The place was simply yet beautifully furnished, her mother's taste and the classy touch of the city not lost, providing Ava with a sense of warmth that eased her tension but was not enough to take the toll of the journey that caused it away. Thus, she immediately excused herself and retired to her room guided by her mother. At the sight of a comfy bed, she did not even spare a moment to look at her own room but rather slipped instantly, tossing her brown hat and coat away, still in her white dress above the covers.

***

After surrendering to an eventful three – hour sleep, Ava woke up, rested yet bored. The uneasiness of the unknown fading as she arrived at her destination and found nothing surprising about it. Perhaps it was too early to assume this, but after the quick tour Ava took by herself to explore the place her thoughts were confirmed.

After that tour, she went back to her room and changed quickly into another plain yellow dress with similar flowery pattern to the one she arrived in. She went down stairs to find her mother in the kitchen cooking. The table was set, and four pairs of anticipating eyes were glittering from behind the sofa. Ava smiled at the four kids. They were waiting for her to wake up, an unnecessary tactfulness in her opinion, but she was the guest of the day, she guessed.

The family sat at the table, various dishes presented, all the food Ava liked but couldn't enjoy properly.

"Is that all you are having?"

"You know I cannot have more..."

Ava answered her mother's disappointment without the slightest bit of annoyance or irritation as one would expect of a ballerina living on a strict diet then offered a fancy table. The kids looked at her charmed by her resolve and eyeing her slim figure once more. One of the girls followed the guest suit and put her spoon down hesitantly just to be as quickly reprimanded by her mother.

"You've been drooling all morning over the grilled chicken, and now you won't even taste it ? Come on, give me your plate!"

The little girl gave up to her still growling tummy and presented her plate unable to keep up with her elder cousin's "will and resolve".