Chapter Four - Another Chance Encounter

Gradually, the heat and sticky air became less bothersome for the ballerina. She got used to the sun rays but still did not abandon her stylish umbrella. This unpleasant morning weather was compensated for by the refreshing breezes of the late night when Ava's family would stay up chatting about different stories and rumors and playing games while enjoying the gentle whiffs.

The days grew longer; taking a stroll in the morning and reading a book in the afternoon did not help time to pass faster. But on the other hand, the beautiful fresh nights were becoming an event in Ava's life, especially when the neighboring families were invited to spend the evening and share the family's activities. Whenever a different guest arrived, Ava would be the center of the talk for the first hour. Her fashionable city dresses and gowns would hold the guests eyes and tastes, her school and career stories as a ballerina never ceased to amaze them. Questions about the new fashion and latest trends, professional tailors, grand spectacles, dancing and music, discussing all these and answering questions was never tiring to the girl as she was the one upon whom the attention was shed, and the one directing all the conversations.

The evenings would proceed in unified rhythm every time guests were invited. First, the women would marvel at Ava's different gowns, ask her where she got them, how much they cost, and the fashion of this year. Although the girl herself was not a fan of the latter but merely of neatness and elegance even if dated to prior years, any answer would satisfy the women and young teenagers so answering these questions wasn't a problem to Ava. If she was lucky, she joked to herself, a man or two would glance at her in admiration despite their wives and daughters sitting right next to them. It was a powerful sensation, in a good non – harmful way. Then, they would ask her about the latest news in the city, and Ava would answer, again, briefly and concisely as she was not interested in news although she knew she should be. And finally, they would ask her what does she do in the city, is she not afraid of staying there alone? This was where her mother would immediately jump to clarify that her daughter stays in a girls school, never alone, with strict rules despite the fact that her blessed bird doesn't need them. When the conversation reaches this point, Ava would finally open up and speak raising the guests interest again about her and securing the attention of everyone present; her passion for dancing, the difficult training and strict diet they endure and how she enjoys it despite their harshness at times. The balls and plays, the grand audience and critics... etc etc...

However, even looking forward to have guests at the evening would not pass the day any faster or easier for the matter. A bothersome thought ticked at all time; she always reminded herself that she should exercise every day and not get used to laziness. It was an annoying alarm taking a toll on her holiday, and no matter how persistently it rang every morning, she just did not feel like exercising and could not bring herself to. So she silenced her worries for the time being by a promise to never return to the school before having an entire week of exercise. Ava relaxed a little at the idea. She has taken a leave of absence and bargained for the need to perpetuate it when necessary, so there was no rush to see to her self - promise yet.

To pass the time, finding a new activity was in order and she did. Though it was not a very different one; an afternoon walk with her young cousins. The girl would take the three girls and boy out when their mother and hers were tired or busy, pack them a nice basket of fruits and sandwiches with the delicious chocolate bars she'd brought with her. The four kids looked forward to these brief picnics that lengthened in duration each time. They loved to play, run, chase after each other, or after a bird or a sheep, but mostly they enjoyed listening to Ava's tales that they could not listen to during the evening visits that overlapped with their bed time and overstepped their age.

At times Ava would perform for them few moves, a quick routine, and they would watch hanging their jaws in the air and widening their eyes at the flexibility and talent of their elder cousin. They would shout and applaud, sometimes too loud for the bypassing farmers and owners to hear, something that Ava did not like. She did not want to be seen flaunting her elegant physique around, she feared what they might think or call her; an arrogant girl from the city robbing her talents in everyone's faces. So every picnic the site she chose led a little further from crowded areas, but even then, at one time, she still heard an additional applaud to her cousins'.

Ava had just finished her "croise derrnier" followed by her usual courteous bow when she heard a manly clap, different from those of kids.

"Thank you."

She said, bowing her head a little then fixing her dress.

"That was pretty good."

"I am a ballerina."

Ava stated as if countering the farmer's complement with a fact.

"Nice."

Ava looked at the farmer, the one she's met and who claimed to be the owner of the largest farm. He stood chatting friendly, his straw hat in hand, still in the same simple worn out clothes. Ava wondered what he was doing here before realizing her little picnic took place near the "palace". His answer rang in her head again. A simple "nice". He only had this one word to describe her life career, her sweat and effort. But then again, did she not lead her cousins away from the other farms so that her career and sweat were not seen and praised? So what harm lied in underestimating them a little? In the end he was merely a farmer, probably uneducated and not interested in art.

"You are still here."

He went on, questioning, either failing to notice or ignoring Ava's slight disgruntled smile as she replied:

"My vacation still has not finished."

"Is not this lucky?"

But before the girl could respond, the group heard someone calling. The man turned and looked at another man in a black suit, the real owner probably, who was telling him to come over and when he saw the man's company he merely waved politely at them then urgently again at his employer. The farmer excused himself, he bowed putting his hat back on his blond head, waved at the kids then left. Ava followed him with her eyes. He was checking on the land this time instead of day dreaming in the middle of nowhere like the first time they met. Good for him, she thought mockingly.

His last words bothered her though. What did he mean by describing her prolonged stay as "lucky"? If he considers himself lucky to have her around then it was a distasteful approach, so ordinary and lacking in magic. Did he mean she had a good luck to be able to remain here longer? Then he had no right to either. He should not decide whether it was better for her to stay here or not, only she can. Ava sighed irritated and her younger cousins looked at her questioningly when she realized she was over – reacting and unnecessarily analyzing and reading into simple common comments and she knew why. She hated her inability to fully relax and not think of her workout and training even in her vacation. Huffing in frustration this time, she grasped the basket and nodded at her siblings to follow her.