Cheap Shot

Most of his days started out relatively the same.

Wake up, roll out of bed, bring Tails some food, go for a run.

That last part was always where things tapered off.

He'd run, but where that led was always different. Sometimes it led to a cool new spot, sometimes it was a new adventure, most of the time it was trouble.

And normally that trouble was Eggman.

That's why he wasn't terribly surprised when Tails called in to tell him a group of motobugs and buzz bombers were running amok in Spiral Hill.

"I gotcha! Be there in a sec!"

"Alright, I'll head out."

"Woah hang on, you're packing aren't you? No reason for you to have to pause that." Sonic said coming to a halt.

"Don't worry about it, I'm closer anyways." The kit replied.

A smirk split across the hedgehog's face. "You wanna bet?"

Tails laughed at him. "Race ya'!"

"Deal!" The hedgehog replied the moment the phrase was out there.

. . .

Within seconds he had reached the village. Tails was there, already smashing a few badniks.

Sonic smiled, he knew his brother could handle it, he's just glad that he was starting to see it himself.

The overall attack wasn't anything special, rather lack luster actually, Tangle probably would've taken care of it if she'd been around. The whole thing took him back to the good old days. Nothing but the little badniks and their leader up on the eggmobile.

Speaking of which...

Smashing through a few motobugs with ease he jumped up onto a lamppost to get the human's attention.

"Pretty basic setup Egghead! Don't tell me you forgot how to hold a good fight on that island too!" He laughed.

"You wish, rodent!" He shot back. "Consider this your warm up while I test something new!"

He gave him a confused look and tapped his foot against the pole.

Something new? What could be new about such a basic set up of bots?

"Sonic!" Tails yelled at him.

He snapped back into reality and noticed the arrangement of buzz bombers that had now gathered around him.

"Hm."

He jumped up right as they fired where he had just been.

"Too slow! As usual." He smirked as he bounced off the bots, destroying one after another as he went.

He landed himself on top of a motobug, smiling as he felt the crunch from the mechanics below him.

Tails smiled at him and polished off the last remaining bot with a wrench.

Sonic smiled back and gave him a thumbs up but then the kit's face dropped.

"Hey, what's the matter-"

"You know rodent, I picked up more than one thing on those godforsaken islands."

He turned to find himself looking down a large spike-like weapon that was glowing brightly.

"Wuh-oh."

It fired.

He screamed.

The energy from the beam lifted him off the ground. Tails watched from below panicked.