Ancient Secret

Tails looked over at Tikal for some kind of answer, he didn't expect what he was met with.

The echidna looked surprised for a moment and then...

"EeeeeeeahhhHahaHAhAHA!" She squealed and ran towards the other.

"Tikal?" The new voice exclaimed. "TIKAL!"

The hedgehog threw himself into the other's arms and Tikal spun him around, twirling him in the air and laughing before letting him go. It took Tails a moment to realize he was floating above the ground.

The giddy expressions weren't well hidden between the two as they both smiled so brightly it could put the Master Emerald's glow to shame.

"Ahaha! Look at you! It's been so long!" She gushed.

"Look at me? Look at you! Took your whole guardian duty a little too seriously did we now?" The new hedgehog joked.

On top of all the weirdness this new hedgehog radiated, he was also hovering in the air in a graceful and effortless way. Like gravity itself didn't even bother with this guy.

He lounged and moved around in the air the way Rouge would, but without any of the effort she put in with her wings. In fact, he didn't touch the ground at all. As if it was more natural for him to be in the air than touching the earth.

"How are you here? How is this possible?" She asked the hedgehog delightedly.

"I'm... not sure, I saw a really bright light and I reached out for it and then suddenly I was here."

The echidna couldn't seem to wipe the smile off her face. "I just- I can't believe it, after all this time-"

"Ahemm-?" Amy cleared her throat loudly, drawing the attention of the two. They snapped out of their own little world and turned to them.

"H-hi" Tails greeted with an awkward wave.

The hedgehog's face lit up in surprise upon seeing them and then quickly smiled.

"Are these-?" He knelt and pointed to them, then turned to Tikal who smiled with pursed lips.

She cleared her throat, trying to stifle the excited giggles still creeping out. "Sonic, these are your friends."

He smiled again but didn't look at anyone but Tikal.

"Sonic? Is that what my name is now?" He spoke quietly and Tikal gave him a nod.

He turned to the rest of them. "Hi there! You must be...?" He prompted.

"Amy, Amy Rose." The pink hedgehog greeted.

"Tails" he gave a greeting if his own. "And Knuckles," he pointed to the shy echidna who nodded gruffly.

"Knuckles? A bit on the nose for a member of the Knuckles tribe isn't it?" The hedgehog laughed lightheartedly.

The echidna in question froze and seemed even more shocked that the stranger actually knew the name of his tribe.

"Uh.. yeah... hi." Tails stated simply, "Tikal, wanna explain what's going on? And also," he turned to the hedgehog, "why you're floating?"

"Oh! Yes! Of course!" Tikal replied happily, pulling the hedgehog back into a side-hug.

"Guys," she spoke proudly gesturing to the other, "this, is the best kept secret in over ten thousand years."

"Hello there! I'm..." He glanced at Tikal, "Sonic." The hedgehog said carefully with an awkward smile.

"No you're not." Knuckles stated plainly and Tails choked in surprise and started coughing.