Chapter 6: Axer

Axer ran across the field. His feet barely touched the grass, like a cheetah in the savannah. In no time, he made it back to the mountain range's entrance–the one Indu used.

Faint bits of moonlight broke through the cacophony of leaves. The grass swayed to the gentle tone of the wind. The smell of mild spice with earthly undertones and a tinge of sweetness pleasured his nose.

With a calm, serene composer, Axer leaned against the thick tree trunk. He only held on for mere seconds before his breathing became ragged, and his body started trembling. Something blocked his throat, and his lip began quivering. Unknowingly, tears formed at the edge of his eyes.

It's her. It's really her. Axer covered his mouth, his body having already slid to the ground. Bits of bark broke off the tree, but there was no pain along his naked back.

No, I can't be sure. Just because she has an eye scar doesn't mean it's her. NO! The scar is exactly the same! It must be her! It must be! Axer clutched his head with both hands, his mind in shambles. Something burned in his chest like a raging star. He wanted her. He needed her.

Axer had no explanation for this feeling. When he laid eyes on her six years ago, it hurt so much that he believed death had come to claim him. But simultaneously, an indescribable emotion told him to protect and cherish her with all his being. He was to be her knight. An entire future flashed before his eyes – the two living together, a radiating smile across her face as she gazed upon him. It filled him with such excruciating euphoria he didn't know what to do. Someone like him, who took no interest in women normally, was reduced to such a state by her. But when he wanted to comprehend this emotion and understand who she was, she vanished.

To think, to think I'd see her again. Axer was so happy tears rolled down his face. He could never show this side to her – it had taken nearly every drop of willpower to keep up the playful and mysterious façade he showed her. And on top of that, he had to stop himself from asking her to marry him on the spot.

God, I'm such a creep. Who wouldn't be creeped out if they saw this side of me? Axer knew exactly what would happen should this side of him be discovered. Social execution would be the least of his worries – no, what truly frightened him to the bones was Indu looking at him with disgust. Never would he let that happen. Never. Never. If it did –

I don't think I could live anymore.

He remembered nearly every detail about their encounter. Although it was surely a passing memory for Indu, who seemed like a girl who went on many adventures, how could he forget something so precious.

If anyone found me doing this, my fate would be sealed. He pulled a torn scrap of white cloth from his pant's pocket – his kindly donated robe. Axer carefully scanned the area, his every sense picking up any sign of life in the area. Bugs crawled, small animals sauntered around, owls hunted, and the occasional big animal slumbered in a one-kilometer radius. And luckily for him, there were no humans.

Creepy bastard. Axer cursed himself as he put the cloth to his nose and took a deep sniff, letting its scent travel deep into his nose. It smelled sweet and succulent with a hint of sourness and an even slighter scent of spice – captivatingly delicious.

Disgusting bastard. He sniffed the cloth. Sickening bastard. He sniffed harder. This isn't the conduct of a knight. Axer continued to sniff despite the curses he threw upon himself. He was so obsessed that he couldn't help being a degenerate.

With a herculean effort, he stuffed the cloth back into his pocket. His face was hot, the cool air seldom doing anything for it. However, the desire burning deep within cooled after smelling the cloth. It still raged on, but more like a forest fire instead of a star – still bad, but manageable.