Chapter 12: Axer

"What?!" Axer leaped from his seat and grabbed Nycholas by the shoulders. "What did you say?"

"Sire, it's true; everyone there is dead! The weekly merchant caravan arrived there to discover the ground ruptured and broken! They rushed here as fast as possible to report the findings, but it still took them hours to make it."

"It's the Disciples." Axer's face darkened as he clenched his fist. "Only they commit destruction at this level."

Dunstan and Royce had also gotten up, putting down their wine and grabbing their weapons as they emanated chilling bloodlust.

"It doesn't matter how far they've gone; I'll still chase them regardless!" Dunstan growled as he slung his war hammer across his back.

"This can't go on, my lord! We need to relentlessly track and eliminate them once and for all." Royce slammed a fist against his chest. "I will not allow them to spill any more innocent blood, not as long as I, Royce Ainsleys, live in this world!"

"I agree, sire. Even if they've already left the sight, we can track them regardless with the help of mages!" Even Nycholas, the most cynical of his knights, agreed.

"My lord and sir knights, I ask that you remain cautious. These are the Disciples we are speaking of, not a ragtag group of bandits. Forgetting that no knight has ever been able to catch them, the fact remains that they've eradicated a town with a population in the several thousands while also successfully escaping." Mr. Casalus stood up with a dark expression. "This can only mean one thing: the Disciples contain a few very powerful members with terrifying escape abilities."

"There is nothing else we can do, Town Chief. We've already come to this conclusion in the past, but regardless, we still need to pursue them." Axer understood Mr. Casalus's concern, but he had no other option. They had to follow the leads they had and pursue them. Axer was quite confident in the ability of him and his knights, but he still wanted to be cautious. Despite that, the situation didn't allow him that luxury. Every second they wasted meant more victims of the Disciples.

"Despite knowing we're nearby, they still committed such an atrocity! They're spitting on our pride!" Axer snarled. "I won't rest until their blood stains my blade."

"Then I shall go with you, my lord. I, too, am a knight, and my blood boils when I see innocent lives lost to heinous criminals." Mr. Casalus grit his teeth as he clenched his fist.

"Father!" Indu jumped up and yelled, looking at Mr. Casalus with fearful, worrying eyes. "It's too dangerous; you can't go!"

"I have a duty as the Town Chief, but I also have my duty as a knight. Because of my political duties, I'm unable to go into the far reaches of the world to uphold justice. If I can't even apprehend criminals in my own backyard, there is no use for me to keep my title as Sir Ambrose!"

"They're the Disciples! Father, you're already in your fifties; your vitality isn't what it used to be! You said yourself that the Disciples are most likely few in number but individually powerful! How can you still go like this!" Indu desperately grabbed Mr. Casalus's arms, trying to dissuade him. "I know you're a knight, but...but...." Indu seemed like she wanted to say something, but she instead looked at Axer's group and swallowed before speaking.

"My lord, sir knights, I ask that you reconsider this as well. I understand the need for revenge, but you mustn't discard your lives like this!"

"Young lady, I understand your concern, but we've made up our minds." Royce declared.

"But...but..."

"Indu..." Mr. Casalus slowly and gently hugged his daughter. "Take care of Aniya and the house for me. I'll return in a few days, so don't worry."